This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Twisting arch up

Started by Iain McLean, January 24, 2020 · 9 Replies · 134 Views

Iain McLean

I’ve just begun twisting arch ups.  How do they look?

Front view

side view

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Iain, nicely done. if you can do all the reps like these it is a good result.

Iain McLean

I found that having to find an alternate way to perform these at home made the exercise much more challenging due to my legs being more horizontal.  I regressed to the previous arch up exercise and mastered it again on my current table set up before returning to the twisting arch up.  I want to check in and make sure that I am still on the right track:

Front view

Side view

 

Jeffrey Bittner

It's hard to tell because of the framing, but it looks like you might be picking up some knee bend on some of your reps. Be careful to keep your legs straight. Other than that it looks solid, nice work!

Iain McLean
On 2/2/2021 at 2:01 AM, Jeffrey Bittner said:

It's hard to tell because of the framing, but it looks like you might be picking up some knee bend on some of your reps. Be careful to keep your legs straight. Other than that it looks solid, nice work!

How's this for minimizing knee bend?

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Solid improvement! You still have a small amount of bend on some of your reps, but it looks much better.

Iain McLean

I’m currently at mastery and will stay here for some time longer as I’m having to pause between some of the final reps.  This one’s a grind with 20reps per set.  I was hoping to get a final form check:

side view

Front view

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Iain McLean said:

I’m currently at mastery and will stay here for some time longer as I’m having to pause between some of the final reps.  This one’s a grind with 20reps per set.  I was hoping to get a final form check:

side view

Front view

 

 

Hi Iain, the form is definitely good. My suggestion is to take some extra time and work on the thoracic spine rotational range of movement.

Iain McLean

I'm yet to progress past the twisting arch up. For quite some time I have been experiencing prolonged muscle discomfort in the mid back for around 3-4 days following my core workouts. This back pain was present before I started GB and was the reason I began GB. I was hoping that I could successfully pull myself out of this issue however the flexed and extended spinal positions still lead to aggravation. My current core days consisted of the following up until recently:

1. Hollow rocks 4x30r with iM

2. Twisting arch up 3x5r@ with iM (regressed due to discomfort)

3. Negative hanging leg lift 3x3r with iM 

4. a few sets of J curl at 25 lbs (have backed down from my max of 42 lbs) my body still doesn't love this movement

I visited a physio who recommended for the time being that I regress the twisting arch up to an isometric arch up hold with a neutral spine (parallel to ground) for 3x1minute holds and incorporate some woodchop trunk rotations and pallof presses. Note: I did have an MRI done in 2016 that showed mild degenerative disc diseased from T11 to L3 with schmorl's nodes.

The physio doesn't like the idea of me continuing with some of the side lever elements such as twisting arch up, circle arch up, arch body holds etc... and wonders if I can skip some of these elements as he likes others like the leg lifts. I have explained the progressive nature of the exercises in the foundation program. This frustrates me as I would like to continue however I do also have apprehension regarding if training these hyperextended ranges is good for me in the long term when I read articles such as this: https://shiftmovementscience.com/is-arch-up-type-conditioning-contributing-to-back-pain-in-gymnasts/  

I realize this isn't the place for medical advice. Does anyone have a similar experience or history dealing with this sort of trigger? I am feeling uncertain as to if this type of training is beneficial for me long term. 

 

Alessandro Mainente
7 hours ago, Iain McLean said:

I'm yet to progress past the twisting arch up. For quite some time I have been experiencing prolonged muscle discomfort in the mid back for around 3-4 days following my core workouts. This back pain was present before I started GB and was the reason I began GB. I was hoping that I could successfully pull myself out of this issue however the flexed and extended spinal positions still lead to aggravation. My current core days consisted of the following up until recently:

1. Hollow rocks 4x30r with iM

2. Twisting arch up 3x5r@ with iM (regressed due to discomfort)

3. Negative hanging leg lift 3x3r with iM 

4. a few sets of J curl at 25 lbs (have backed down from my max of 42 lbs) my body still doesn't love this movement

I visited a physio who recommended for the time being that I regress the twisting arch up to an isometric arch up hold with a neutral spine (parallel to ground) for 3x1minute holds and incorporate some woodchop trunk rotations and pallof presses. Note: I did have an MRI done in 2016 that showed mild degenerative disc diseased from T11 to L3 with schmorl's nodes.

The physio doesn't like the idea of me continuing with some of the side lever elements such as twisting arch up, circle arch up, arch body holds etc... and wonders if I can skip some of these elements as he likes others like the leg lifts. I have explained the progressive nature of the exercises in the foundation program. This frustrates me as I would like to continue however I do also have apprehension regarding if training these hyperextended ranges is good for me in the long term when I read articles such as this: https://shiftmovementscience.com/is-arch-up-type-conditioning-contributing-to-back-pain-in-gymnasts/  

I realize this isn't the place for medical advice. Does anyone have a similar experience or history dealing with this sort of trigger? I am feeling uncertain as to if this type of training is beneficial for me long term. 

 

For sure if the main problem is the side flexion + twist. you shuold avoid the side lever work. always listen for medical advices.