This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Slow progress

Started by Shane Montes, January 20, 2020 · 4 Replies · 195 Views

Shane Montes

I am beginning to become a bit curious about my progression. I have been doing my GB exercises consistently since sept.2018 (foundation 1) with not missing any days.  Yet I am still doing some of the same exercises. I saw on the homepage of “where to begin” and they say that most students finish foundation1 in 6 months.  That seems crazy considering where I am at  after doing this consistently for over a year.  I am in no rush to complete but my progress seems to be that of an old turtle. Anyone else have this?  Is it just a patience game? Or am I missing something to help me make progress.  
 

fyi. The upper body exercises have been my biggest struggle.  I am at 4x12 on the regular push ups and have been there for a long time.  Same thing goes for the ground rows, same 4x6 for a long time. 
 

thanks for any input or even reassurance. 

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Shane Montes said:

I am beginning to become a bit curious about my progression. I have been doing my GB exercises consistently since sept.2018 (foundation 1) with not missing any days.  Yet I am still doing some of the same exercises. I saw on the homepage of “where to begin” and they say that most students finish foundation1 in 6 months.  That seems crazy considering where I am at  after doing this consistently for over a year.  I am in no rush to complete but my progress seems to be that of an old turtle. Anyone else have this?  Is it just a patience game? Or am I missing something to help me make progress.  
 

fyi. The upper body exercises have been my biggest struggle.  I am at 4x12 on the regular push ups and have been there for a long time.  Same thing goes for the ground rows, same 4x6 for a long time. 
 

thanks for any input or even reassurance. 

HI Shane, there are many factors involving on the process like:

-work

-previous sports and how many years on previous sports;

-the previous injury if present;

-mobility restriction if presents;

-genetical predisposition like weigth, weigth distribution, height, numero of muscles fibers

-and so on.

this is for these reasons that it is not possible at 100% make any prevision about HOW MUCH TIME YOU NEED  to achieve a skill.

 

 

Bill Marr

Hey Shane: Don't despair! I've been doing this for over three years and progress has spotty has hell in several areas. While I am on Foundation 4 for SLS, Foundation 2 or 3 for several others, and progressing quite well in Handstands, I too suffer in the upper body realm. I am a month of so away from finally getting HBP PE2. Still can't bang out the last three or four reps in the last two sets of 15. RC2 is still going to take a while, 5 x 9 on that is almost done. 

Despite lingering in Foundation One for so long in several modules, I can tell you my overall fitness level is likely the best it's ever been. I played high level football (soccer) and hockey growing up and still play soccer with guys forty years younger than me and can easily keep up. Progress made with the three Stretch Series courses is crazy. 

My goal is to keep at it seven days a week. Keep working the program. That's all we can do. For 2020, my goals are hitting a 60 second handstand and getting out of Foundation One in all modules. Totally doable, but if I don't accomplish it all, I'll still significantly increase my fitness level in all areas. At the end of the day, we really want to live to a ripe old age with complete functionality, physicality, mobility, and mental function---then die celebrating a goal-scoring volley on our 120th birthday.

All the best in 2020 in your GST endeavours!

Shane Montes

Thank you Bill for sharing your progress.  It’s helpful to head what others are going through and having similar struggles. I think our outlook is very similar, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something.  Patience is the name of the game and longevity is the goal.  Thanks again for sharing, it has really helped. 

William 366373

If you have been maxing out on the same sets and reps for a while try changing something. Maybe a deload week, increasing rest times, slow down the reps theres loads of ways to mix it up for a few weeks to break the plateau!