This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Middle split checks

Started by MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ, January 13, 2020 · 25 Replies · 414 Views

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ

Hey guys, I have been training middle split series for a while, and it has been quite hard from the start, specially the straddle exercises where keeping the APT is a huge challenge. I want to show my current state on the most problematic exercises for me at the moment. I have trained these exercises with one yoga block, but I want to show you my form with two blocks to see if I have to keep both blocks or one, and to ask when I can reduce them. So, I will number each exercise to make checks easier (I upload all of them here, as they are all related and I feel it is easier to have them all here):

1 - standing straddle, I can get my arms lower behind, but I would start to arch my back, is this angle ok to start some arch at the top of my back? 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljnrymcemlgpt6v/4_5830230405659232300.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ai8fx3qn66evnl/4_5830230405659232301.mp4?dl=0

2 - butterfly - should I train it with one block, or two? (and this question for the following checks also) 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/91yril274h84nfw/IMG_20200113_213315_248.mp4?dl=0

3 - good mornings - https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3ifmzzo9wdaez2/IMG_20200113_213317_071.mp4?dl=0

4 - straddle walks - https://www.dropbox.com/s/dih0vy7styv6taq/IMG_20200113_213319_736.mp4?dl=0

5 - straddle jumps

https://www.dropbox.com/s/flsw5kjcpsri7yu/IMG_20200113_213322_479.mp4?dl=0

6 - straddle slides 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/48ij18jkn43u6g2/IMG_20200113_213325_007.mp4?dl=0

7 - straddle hold 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pasfj7pgjkzdzxj/IMG_20200113_213327_716.mp4?dl=0

In all the exercises I feel a lot traps working on the middle and low traps.

Sorry for the huge text, and if needed I will split them into every single exercise. Thanks!!

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ

Bumping this just to make sure it is read

Alessandro Mainente

HI Mario i'm going to give you suggestion fo what you need to search for:

1- the goal is holding the APT, never sacrifice the APT for a deeper compression;

2-in this butterfly variation you should first lower the knees until they are at hips level then...reach forward;

3-use another yoga blocks, you should be able to sit on APT;

4--again here, aim for APT.

5,6,7- APT is the main goal.

the fact that you are feeling a lot of work is ok. it means that you are trying to engage all the spine extension muscles.

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ

Wow, even tho I have been doing split courses for a while, now that I am really focusing on APT on every exercise that needs it, it's quite demanding.

Now I am training with two blocks until I get a decent ammount of ROM while holding APT, should I reduce it to one block when I can sit in straddle while holding APT or keep two blocks until ROM is decent?(maybe 45° inclined ie on straddle good mornings)

The question is, what is the requirement to reduce a block and when should I do that? Thanks!!

Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ said:

Wow, even tho I have been doing split courses for a while, now that I am really focusing on APT on every exercise that needs it, it's quite demanding.

Now I am training with two blocks until I get a decent ammount of ROM while holding APT, should I reduce it to one block when I can sit in straddle while holding APT or keep two blocks until ROM is decent?(maybe 45° inclined ie on straddle good mornings)

The question is, what is the requirement to reduce a block and when should I do that? Thanks!!

When you can easily reach forward past 45-60° with aPT.

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ

I have added daily limber with piriformis in it to do it 5 days a week (skipping days with middle and front split courses), I have only been doing it on TB day until today. Should I add any other exercise apart fron piriformis to focus on my tight hips?

Alessandro Mainente

Actually no. the piriformis variation requires a lot of time in order to be mastered.

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ
3 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Mario, can you arch a bit more the lower back.

Ill try, but is hard to do for me, probably my desk job does not help

Alessandro Mainente
19 hours ago, MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ said:

Ill try, but is hard to do for me, probably my desk job does not help

I understand BUT you cannot do the middle split without arching the lower back and you cannot do safety the pancake without APT.

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ
On 5/15/2020 at 10:03 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

I understand BUT you cannot do the middle split without arching the lower back and you cannot do safety the pancake without APT.

Here is an attempt trying to get that "arch" as hard as possible, but I just feel I cannot get it even elevating my self on 3 blocks. Is the 3 blocks apt good enough or should I elevate myself even more?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3owk8n5wj4pnxvl/IMG_20200517_021125_627.mp4?dl=0

Alessandro Mainente

Definitely better...and if 3 blocks are necessary go for them.

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ

In MS straddle work and wall splits coach says to externally rotate, but he also says that knees should point to the ceiling, so it is not clear for me the right position.

Which attached photo is ok? (Both left leg)

IMG_20200703_161601_128.jpg

IMG_20200703_161707_575.jpg

James Strack

What is APT?  I've been doing the middle split routine as well but not sure what APT stands for?

Oh nm Anterior Pelvic Tilt.  

Alessandro Mainente
18 hours ago, MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ said:

In MS straddle work and wall splits coach says to externally rotate, but he also says that knees should point to the ceiling, so it is not clear for me the right position.

Which attached photo is ok? (Both left leg)

IMG_20200703_161601_128.jpg

IMG_20200703_161707_575.jpg

IN the wall variation as all middle split variation where you are sitting on the butt you need to externally rotate to reach approximately 180°. that is the second pic.

Alessandro Mainente
11 hours ago, James Strack said:

What is APT?  I've been doing the middle split routine as well but not sure what APT stands for?

Oh nm Anterior Pelvic Tilt.  

Yes anterior pelvic tilt.

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ

Hi again! I want to make sure my form is ok:

- butterfly (ready to reduce 1 block?)

- good mornings:

- straddle hold: 

 

Alessandro Mainente

WHEN to reduce is something pretty simple to understand....can you sit with an APt?

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

WHEN to reduce is something pretty simple to understand....can you sit with an APt?

I think Im ready then

Ciaran Spain

Thanks for the videos above Mario and you'll be glad to know that I have even less mobility.

Alessandro, I was using 2 blocks but would you recommend I use more blocks until I am sitting up correctly like the videos above. At the moment I find when I try to arch my lower back to do more APV I feel like I am straining my middle back and I can hardly lean forward at all, like even an inch forward feels like a super strain

Any advice please.

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ
On 10/3/2020 at 4:14 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

WHEN to reduce is something pretty simple to understand....can you sit with an APt?

In terms of progress, is it better to reduce 1 block if I am able to sit with APT but little ROM, or keep myself more elevated until I increase that ROM?

Alessandro Mainente

AT LEAST you should be able to sit with apt and in order to do them you must develop more rom with an higher support.

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ
On 10/6/2020 at 9:37 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

AT LEAST you should be able to sit with apt and in order to do them you must develop more rom with an higher support.

Yesterday I tried with two blocks and seems like I have to keep three blocks, what do you think?

First photo is starting the exercise in middle split series (middle split hold), and second one is how I finished it

IMG_20201104_115232_142.jpg

IMG_20201104_115228_173.jpg

Alessandro Mainente
23 hours ago, MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ said:

Yesterday I tried with two blocks and seems like I have to keep three blocks, what do you think?

First photo is starting the exercise in middle split series (middle split hold), and second one is how I finished it

IMG_20201104_115232_142.jpg

IMG_20201104_115228_173.jpg

Yes 3 blocks. a good strategy that can work for you is bending the knees, then arch the middle and lower back by pushing the hips out into an APT, then while holding the apt extend the knees! do not lose the apt!! never.