This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Completed all Foundation Leg Elements: Now what?

Started by Alecsander Terry, January 13, 2020 · 3 Replies · 223 Views

Alecsander Terry

Hi all,

ive been using GB foundations almost exclusively for 3 years now.  Love everything about them.  

Quick question: about 3 months ago I reached the final step in the leg series:  5 x 5 lunges with 100% body weight along with iM.  Where should I go from here?  I was considering 3 options:

1) continue slowly adding weight to my lunges, keeping them as my sole strength move for legs.

2) begin adding in squats and RDLs

3) leave weight exactly the same, put legs on maintenance mode and focus all energy on completing the rest of the foundation elements.

also open to other options.  Would love to hear your thoughts!

Alessandro Mainente
6 hours ago, Alecsander Terry said:

Hi all,

ive been using GB foundations almost exclusively for 3 years now.  Love everything about them.  

Quick question: about 3 months ago I reached the final step in the leg series:  5 x 5 lunges with 100% body weight along with iM.  Where should I go from here?  I was considering 3 options:

1) continue slowly adding weight to my lunges, keeping them as my sole strength move for legs.

2) begin adding in squats and RDLs

3) leave weight exactly the same, put legs on maintenance mode and focus all energy on completing the rest of the foundation elements.

also open to other options.  Would love to hear your thoughts!

I think that now you can consider inserting weighted squat...your quads..tendons and groin is really enough strong. very similar to me...3 years to complete legs work.

Alecsander Terry

Hi Alessandro,

noted.  Thank you for the follow up!  I actually have a couple additional questions:

1.  I am working the 4 day / wk foundation schedule, so I end up working legs twice per week.  Would you suggest I do one day/ week lunges in accordance with the F4 programming and the other day for weighted squats?

2.  With my main goal being achieving the 7 foundational moves plus the handstand, is there a point at which you would suggest I level off my leg training in order to avoid negative affects on my upper body elements?  Say for example if I were to slowly work up to 2x body weight would that be too much?  In your experience is there a point at which increasing load on weighted squats starts to negatively affect your ability to perform your upper body GST work? (or am I just being paranoid?)

thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
19 hours ago, Alecsander Terry said:

Hi Alessandro,

noted.  Thank you for the follow up!  I actually have a couple additional questions:

1.  I am working the 4 day / wk foundation schedule, so I end up working legs twice per week.  Would you suggest I do one day/ week lunges in accordance with the F4 programming and the other day for weighted squats?

2.  With my main goal being achieving the 7 foundational moves plus the handstand, is there a point at which you would suggest I level off my leg training in order to avoid negative affects on my upper body elements?  Say for example if I were to slowly work up to 2x body weight would that be too much?  In your experience is there a point at which increasing load on weighted squats starts to negatively affect your ability to perform your upper body GST work? (or am I just being paranoid?)

thanks!

1. well, lunges should be now your warmup...they are easy.

2. do not worry too much about that, there is a systemic load but different local loading on muscles.