This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE2 Pushup Form Check

Started by Andrew Witchger, December 31, 2019 · 3 Replies · 71 Views

Andrew Witchger

Thank you for looking through all these form checks. After 1.5+ years of some progress and a lot of plateaus I'm realizing the value in another set of eyes and expertise to make corrections and keep me moving forward! 

Despite my expectations, I've been on the pushup level for about a year now. This is my 3rd set of 4x15r where my form starts to falter and it's hard to keep my back flat. Do you have any suggestions on breaking through this level? I've considered elevating my hands a bit as an intermediate step, but I feel so close to pushing through it on the ground. 

My elbows are currently tucked in and rub my sides as I lower. Is this necessary/better? Is it ok to let them flare out a bit?

Finally, is it worth pushing through more reps if my form gets worse than this? Part of me thinks that I need to build strength first, and correct the form later...

Thanks

 

Andrew Witchger

Just wanted to check in and see if anyone has some tips or advice. Thanks!

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Andrew, I recommend taking a few steps back and focusing on keeping posterior pelvic tilt (PPT) during your reps and hitting strong protraction at the top. As you go through your courses, always focusing on form first, then volume. Doing things the other way around simply makes the wrong muscles strong in the incorrect position which stops your progress. 

Andrew Witchger

Thanks, Jeffrey. I'll back off the reps and focus on those points.