This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

question about muscles involved in holding a handstand

Started by Andrei Grigoriev, December 22, 2019 · 5 Replies · 119 Views

Andrei Grigoriev

Hi guys, after reading articles that discuss handstand I noticed that most of them mention muscle groups that are part of the shoulder girdle and apparently upper arm musculature doesn't play a significant role, however when you read articles and posts about planche and ring support you usually see that they emphasize that brachialis and biceps play a key role apparently to prevent elbow hyperextension? so my question is if elbow flexors are so heavily recruited in ring support and to planche it stands to reason that they would also be recruited when you hold a handstand albeit to a lesser degree? I mean after all your supporting pretty much your whole bodyweight  on locked arms.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Andrei, the question is in your answer....rings or stable surface.

Articles talking only about shoulders girdle are not complete. a big mention for lower and middle traps and serratus anterior is much more important on reaching full shoulder flexion with a bit of spine flexion. biceps are involved in stabilizing the rings. so rings handstand will involve biceps...but not regular floor handstand.

Andrei Grigoriev

Alessandro , thank you for your response, however I still don't understand why straight arm exercises like planche lean and planche recruit elbow flexors while handstand does not? Like I mentioned in my previous post I understand that that the  forces that pass through the elbow joints are far greater when you do planche compared to handstand due to different angles and leverage but that still doesn't explain the absence of elbow flexors recruitment in a handstand, I mean I've already searched the forum for answers and some people claim that planche actually causes biceps hypertrophy due to the fact that it plays an active role in preventing elbow hyperextension. The reason I've posted this question is because I'm just curious about the muscles that are utilised in various static holds . I guess I just want to improve my knowledge of human functional anatomy and  but unfortunately I was unable to find  this information in textbooks and even here on this forum.

Alessandro Mainente
Andrei Grigoriev said:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
8
6 hours ago, Andrei Grigoriev said:

Alessandro , thank you for your response, however I still don't understand why straight arm exercises like planche lean and planche recruit elbow flexors while handstand does not? Like I mentioned in my previous post I understand that that the  forces that pass through the elbow joints are far greater when you do planche compared to handstand due to different angles and leverage but that still doesn't explain the absence of elbow flexors recruitment in a handstand, I mean I've already searched the forum for answers and some people claim that planche actually causes biceps hypertrophy due to the fact that it plays an active role in preventing elbow hyperextension. The reason I've posted this question is because I'm just curious about the muscles that are utilised in various static holds . I guess I just want to improve my knowledge of human functional anatomy and  but unfortunately I was unable to find  this information in textbooks and even here on this forum.

this is not completely correct.

Rings planche and supine grip palm cause hypertrophy like all the other exercise on support and similar ones.

normal floor or pbars planche does not (with a neutral grip).

The big difference is that on planche if the bodyweight wins over the shoulder strength you tend to hyperextend the elbow. in the handstand, if the weight wins...you flex the elbows.

Andrei Grigoriev
On 12/24/2019 at 12:48 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

this is not completely correct.

Rings planche and supine grip palm cause hypertrophy like all the other exercise on support and similar ones.

normal floor or pbars planche does not (with a neutral grip).

The big difference is that on planche if the bodyweight wins over the shoulder strength you tend to hyperextend the elbow. in the handstand, if the weight wins...you flex the elbows.

I see , that’s an interesting fact since most articles that discuss planche claim that all planche variations tax biceps tendon. At least now I know better:)

but what about triceps? Are they recruited when you hold a handstand or planche with your hands facing forward? I guess triceps’ recruitment prevents your elbows from bending in those holds?

Also, I’m curious about manna progressions : in manna progressions you do most of the holds with your fingers facing backwards so it stands to reason based on the information that you’ve provided that they should tax your biceps too ? I mean I’ve noticed that when I started doing foundation  in the beginning even such a simple hold as table caused a bit of a strain in the elbows for me. Even though table  is technically not part of manna progressions in a way  it’s similar to manna since you have full extension in the shoulders and your arms are locked with the hands facing backward.

Alessandro Mainente

Things become more complex at this point and they need time to be discusses and especially exercise and physiology knowledge.

I think that studying biomechanics and functional anatomy can potentially solve all your doubts.

nothing personal against discussing deeper some arguments but i think that it is something more reserved to university, this is not the primary goal of the forum.