This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to breathe in a handstand?

Started by Jason Garf, November 27, 2019 · 3 Replies · 67 Views

Jason Garf

My whole body is in tension during a handstand and this makes breathing difficult. Can I leave my abdominal muscles loose so breathing becomes easy or at least less shallow? Or Should I extend my chest a bit? If not then what is the proper way of breathing during a handstand?

Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jason you should breathe with the diaphragm. the problem usually occurs when you are not used to holding the alignment using only what is necessary. have you ever posted your form check? is technique is not good in the beginning steps how do you pretend to manage the effort in the following ones?

Jason Garf
8 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Jason you should breathe with the diaphragm. the problem usually occurs when you are not used to holding the alignment using only what is necessary. have you ever posted your form check? is technique is not good in the beginning steps how do you pretend to manage the effort in the following ones?

Yes, I breathe with the diaphragm but due to hollow body position and flexed chest, the breathing becomes shallow and quick. The only way I find breathing easy is by letting abdominal muscle relax but it disturbs the hollow body position and straight back and soon my fall out of alignment. 

 

I want to breathe as naturally in HS as I breathe lying in bed. 

Alessandro Mainente

You can do that only when you acquire confidence systematically, not before. the effort should be less and less and less. once in a comfortable position your body will active fewer motor units, making the contraction less intense and as a consequence a situation for more relaxation. something that you cannot do in the "learning process".