This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

No progress in FL PE1... Thoughts?

Started by David Pardy 340028, November 22, 2019 · 12 Replies · 268 Views

David Pardy 340028

While I haven't been able to train as consistently as I'd like for a few months now, I actually feel like I've been moving fairly well with everything but FL/PE1.

I think my biggest issue after being assessed by a physio is my significant lack of glute engagement, and very poor recruitment of the lower abdominals.

I've been working hard on loosening up my quads and psoas and retraining my body, but just wondering if there's anything more I can do?  I had to regress myself back to 4x24 but I'm even struggling with that at the moment.

I'm also putting a big focus on PPT in everything (HS, HBP, RC, sPL are where I really find it the most taxing).  So I'm also wondering if it could simply be fatigue in relation to the other exercises.

I have had severe APT throughout my whole life and only really learned what it was and started working to correct it back in 2012, so we're talking at least a couple of decades worth of poor posture that need to be corrected here :) I've improved it a lot in the last 7 years but I can see it still needs work - mainly in that my hips never seem to be completely 'open', which I'm mostly putting down to the tight hip flexors

David Pardy 340028

Is there any benefit in training the bent leg hold with the hips at around 90 degrees (i.e. knees stacked directly over hips) to reduce the load?  I've been doing it with a roughly 120 degree bend at the hips but wondering if I really need to back off and build up to 5x60s at an even easier progression?

Alessandro Mainente
4 hours ago, David Pardy 340028 said:

Is there any benefit in training the bent leg hold with the hips at around 90 degrees (i.e. knees stacked directly over hips) to reduce the load?  I've been doing it with a roughly 120 degree bend at the hips but wondering if I really need to back off and build up to 5x60s at an even easier progression?

It will make apparently easier but it is not because more weight is moved over the COG. can i see one attempt of your PE1?

David Pardy 340028

Thanks Alex

Did this just now, funnily enough felt a lot easier today than it did last time I trained - wondering if it's because I did some fairly intense glute activation exercises last night?

 

Alessandro Mainente

I'm pretty sure that the foundation course does not show a tuck hollow body hold with these angles.

-knees are approximate...if not....less than 90° of flexion;

-hips are around 90°-110° of extension.

in both cases, you are showing different angles.

Before structuring the workout the best solution is having a form check...at this point you can easily correct form but as the exercises become complex if you build up bad habits you will need tons of time to correct it especially if the movement has a bigger technical component.

David Pardy 340028

Thanks Alex, I've just had another look at the technique video and I can see the difference in the angles you mean.  I think it's simply that I've slacked off on my form over time instead of checking the technique videos, so thanks for picking that up.

I'll address the angles in my next workout and see how I go

David Pardy 340028

Hi Alex, changed things up a bit today.  Felt very different to how I've been doing it.  Any further thoughts please?

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Nice improvement, David. Work on opening your hips a little bit more while simultaneously pressing your lower back into the ground.

David Pardy 340028

Thanks Jeff.  I did the workout again today and the cues I used were to maintain the same angle, but I was attempting to push my knees 'up' to open up the hips and force PPT, which then made it feel easier to press the lower back into the ground.  Does that sound about right?

Alessandro Mainente

Yes for sure.

David Pardy 340028

Thanks Alex, I'll do another form check in a few days to see how I'm going!

David Pardy 340028

Hi guys, I managed to do 4x36s today with no rest.  I'm trying to consciously open the hips and maintain the correct posture whilst engaging lower abdominals and glutes.  Anything further from this video?  The video was recorded in mirror image by the phone which I didn't realise until I'd uploaded it.
 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi David, you should lift the upper body a bit more...i would say that the highest part of the forehead should be aligned with the top of the knee. lock the pic below.

shfl.png