This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

When to progress

Started by Timothy Strickland, November 11, 2019 · 7 Replies · 131 Views

Timothy Strickland

The Library has some information on this but since I am fairly new to gymnastics training (Only been doing the program for about 3-4 months now), I am wondering at what point should I consider moving to the next step in the training. I am getting to the point where I am advancing in the movements so I am wondering how best to go about it.

I understand if the movements are super easy, its time to progress. However, when the effort is tougher it is a bit harder to tell. Should I keep increasing the steps until I can no longer perform all the required sets and reps in good form and then stay there until I do?

I am used to weight lifting where you continue to lift heavier and heavier until you miss a rep, is it safe to assume I should train the same way here?

I fell as though my lack of mobility and flexibility will probably be more of a limiting factor soon rather than my strength as I am Super Tight everywhere.

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
Timothy Strickland said:
 
 
 
 
6 hours ago, Timothy Strickland said:

The Library has some information on this but since I am fairly new to gymnastics training (Only been doing the program for about 3-4 months now), I am wondering at what point should I consider moving to the next step in the training. I am getting to the point where I am advancing in the movements so I am wondering how best to go about it.

I understand if the movements are super easy, its time to progress. However, when the effort is tougher it is a bit harder to tell. Should I keep increasing the steps until I can no longer perform all the required sets and reps in good form and then stay there until I do?

I am used to weight lifting where you continue to lift heavier and heavier until you miss a rep, is it safe to assume I should train the same way here?

I fell as though my lack of mobility and flexibility will probably be more of a limiting factor soon rather than my strength as I am Super Tight everywhere.

Thanks!

HI Timothy, GST is by far more complex, alignment, bodyline, segment activations, all joint mobility.

If you are tight you should consider doing restore series more often and integrate the stretch series once a week.

for what is concerned with the foundation's work (extremely recommended) your words "Should I keep increasing the steps until I can no longer perform all the required sets and reps in good form and then stay there until I do?" is exactly what you have to do.

Timothy Strickland

Thanks!

I will apply that concept then, at least to my conditioning. I am doing the front split and middle split stretch as recommended by the program. Also have Single Bar Mobility as well as Weight Mobility and 2x a week knee series. Anything else you would recommend?

Also, is there anything on diet here? I thought there was but was unable to find it.

Alessandro Mainente
18 hours ago, Timothy Strickland said:

Thanks!

I will apply that concept then, at least to my conditioning. I am doing the front split and middle split stretch as recommended by the program. Also have Single Bar Mobility as well as Weight Mobility and 2x a week knee series. Anything else you would recommend?

Also, is there anything on diet here? I thought there was but was unable to find it.

Thoracic mobility stretch course FOR SURE.

Timothy Strickland

Ok, I will add that one. Also, I am doing the foundation series 2x per week, so I do core and legs on Monday and then upper body the next on Tuesday. Then I do another core and legs on Thursday then Upper Body on Friday. Is 2x a week good or should it be once per week?

Alessandro Mainente

For now, if you are completely new to the system you should integrate foundations + handstand + 3 stretch courses once a week.

Timothy Strickland

Nice! So now I have the following, hope this works:

Mon: Knee Series, Foundation Level 1 Legs, Core and Handstands

Tue: Weighted Mobility, Foundation Level 1 Upper Body, Front Split

Wed: Cardio 1 hour, Thoracic Stretch

Thur: Knee Series, Foundation Level 1 Legs, Core and Handstands

Fri: Single Bar Mobility,  Foundation Level 1 Upper Body, Middle Split

Sat: Cardio 2 hours

Sun: Rest Day

I have really been noticing the benefits so I want to do as much as possible without overdoing it. Coach mentioned on the Tim Ferris shows that it is possible to go from beginner to 75-80% of genetic potential with consistent work in 4 years so that is my goal.

Started the program with ankle pain, hip pain in left pain when bending forward at all, tingling and burning in feet, chronic neck pain. All of those have resolved except for the chronic neck pain although it seems to be improving as well.

Alessandro Mainente

nice to hear that!!!