This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Has anyone completed 5x15 Push ups?

Started by Nick Goddard, October 30, 2019 · 7 Replies · 223 Views

Nick Goddard

Hey guys, i'm after some inspiration and can't seem to be able to search 'Upper Body A2' or 'HBP'.

Does anyone have a link to a video of 5X15 mastery push ups?

Or, what set did you get to before moving onto Pseudo Planche Pushup?

Thanks,

Nick

Josh Earl
2 hours ago, Nick Goddard said:

Hey guys, i'm after some inspiration and can't seem to be able to search 'Upper Body A2' or 'HBP'.

Does anyone have a link to a video of 5X15 mastery push ups?

Or, what set did you get to before moving onto Pseudo Planche Pushup?

Thanks,

Nick

Hey Nick, I’m on 5x14r. So maybe in a couple more weeks? :)

I’ve been on this forever, mostly due to a wrist injury that prevented me from pushing myself as hard as necessary for over a year.
 

Right now the way I’m progressing is to do 5x whatever number of reps I can complete while keeping pace with the count in the Step 9 video. I’m aiming for a 10/10 level of effort, where the last few reps of the last set are really freakin hard but I can still get them without falling behind. 
 

After that I do a few more sets of 10 with resistance bands to get in some extra work. 
 

I’m training twice a week and have moved up from 5x12r to 5x14r over the last month or so. I bump up my reps per set by 1 when I rate my effort level at an 8 or 9/10. 
 

I’m determined to beat this just because it has been such a challenge. 
 

EDIT: Checked my history and in April I was doing 4x12r. I remember that being a struggle. 
 

At the time I was doing Upper 1x per week. I have made much better progress since bumping up to 2x per week.  I also decided to get really focused on mastering Pushups in mid-August and started experimenting with extra sets, adding resistance, etc. 

I have always been undermuscled with little chest development or pushing strength. Classic “skinny fat” build. It sucks, but I am pushing through and making slow but steady progress. 

James O'Boyle

@Nick Goddard  I'm almost there.  Doing 10 extra sets at an easy rep level has helped me a lot.  For example, after my upper body workout I would do 10 sets (with the iM in between sets) of 4, then once that felt very effortless I'd up it to 10x5, etc..  Before long I was doing 10x7 without breaking a sweat.  If you're struggling with 4x9 you could try 10x3 and see how that feels?  The inspiration for this came from @Nils Westfelt.

 

Thanks,

James

Nick Goddard

Thanks both, just what I needed. It’s great to hear from others that are getting there as it gets lonely and frustrating out there.

The temptation for me is to start trying to do more of the strength work like L-sits, dips & pull ups etc but the more you do of that the more it eats into your energy stores for Push Ups & Ground Rows. For that reason, I have already dropped HS1 work for a couple of months now to leave more energy for Upper. But I’m thinking of bringing back some max holds in order to get my fix of  gymnastic skills!

Did you guys drop any classes or re-schedule/reduce anything around improving your Upper?

For (only) three weeks recently I tried training upper twice a week (Instead of my normal once per week). Starting with attempting 4x9 of both push ups and ground rows and then after with extra sets of Scap push ups, slow tempo push ups and bicep curls after. I even did @Nils Westfelt higher sets, lower reps for one session.

Going forward I think I need to be more strict with my accessory/extra work and measure that more carefully.

After a week off of work my latest and greatest achievement so far has been:

A2: 9,9,9,9

B2: 9,9,9,5

Look forward to seeing some form checks and Pseudo Planche Pushups!

Cheers,

Nick

Josh Earl

Currently I’m doing Coach’s Level 1 program, so F1 twice, plus the mobility classes. This has been working well for me.

One thing I’m doing is focusing my efforts on pushups, and not worrying about progressing on ground rows. I’m at 5x9r for ground rows and just looking to maintain until I master pushups. Any extra or accessory work is pushing. 
 

I find it takes at least 2-3 weeks before I’m ready to add another set per rep. So to go from 5x13r to 5x14r took me several weeks. 
 

One thing I like about my current approach is it makes it easier to measure progress. Right now if I did 5x15r, I’d probably fail on rep 9 or 10 of the last set. Getting to 11r might take me 3 weeks, and in the meantime I feel like I’m failing every time I train, even though I’m still progressing.
 

So I’m looking for the point where I can just barely do all the reps while hitting a 10/10 effort, and work to make that easier before moving up a rep. 
 

I also look at my sets in Upper as partly an evaluation of my progress. At this point I definitely need additional work beyond those sets to actually move forward. 

Thomas Nordman

Hi guys,

Here is my last set on mastery about a year ago (back then I used the Video Review Service so there is no post in Form Checks forum):

For me ring rows has been a greater challenge. I'm currently on step 7 (4x12) and are using the mentioned programming from @Nils Westfelt. Progress is now slow but steady:

Two months ago: 9,9,9,8,6,6,6,6,6,6,6

The other day: 10,10,10,10,10,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7

I'm doing F7 twice a week.

 

No question that the GST programming is a good starting point for most of us but it has become quite clear that it need adjustment from time to time. We are all different so there could never be a one-program-fits-all. For me adding extra volume (more than 100%!) was one way to continue progress.

Josh Earl

Coach Sommer has said multiple times that training strength gives you greater endurance, but training endurance doesn’t increase strength very much. 
 

I have a feeling that guys who have a good base of strength from prior training can cruise through this without much trouble. 
 

For me, I don’t have that same base. This is the strongest I’ve ever been. So I’m really pushing my boundaries here, and it’s slow going. 
 

My rationale for adding in the extra resistance with bands is trying to skew more towards strength instead of just adding more endurance work. 

Not sure that’s valid, but it’s what I’m running with at the moment. 

Thomas Hanssen

Well strength training gives you greater strength. And endurance training gives you better endurance.

Your body adapts to whatever stimulus you put upon it.  Hence the principle of specificities. 

Thats why a combination of the two can be beneficial:)