This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Really struggling with windshield wiper mobility

Started by Michael Stanwyck, October 22, 2019 · 11 Replies · 140 Views

Michael Stanwyck

I simply cannot get my feet to the bar once I drop from the starting position. I can “curl” up to the starting position, but once I descend to the side, I can’t get back up there.

i considered backing up a step, but the mobility on 1/2 WW doesn’t really solve the problem I’m having. Not sure how to proceed. I really can’t do them and I THINK it’s mobility because I can do them without the stall bars.

i don’t know how to keep on track with this. Any suggestions?

Jeffrey Bittner

You might be trying to do too much ROM too quickly. At first, only drop your feet as far to the side as you can handle pulling them back to the bar. If the movement is small, it's ok. Just like everything else it will improve over time. I also recommend spending some time working a static V-hang position with your toes by the bar (or held just under the bar if you're super strong). Increasing your strength in this position will make your windshield wipers easier.

Could you post a video of your current windshield wiper attempt as well as a static V-hang?

Michael Stanwyck

OK that's great feedback. I'll try that at the gym today and post a video. I just did them yesterday without the stall bar, using a pull up bar only. I leaned WAY back, but was able to do some reps like that.

Michael Stanwyck

Here’s a max attempt windshield wiper x2 per your suggestion:

 

Here’s the best v hold I can do:

thanks

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Michael, what is your level on manna?

Michael Stanwyck

Negative hanging leg lift 3x2x10

Alessandro Mainente

this can explain why you are finding the SL progression harder. a minimum of manna development on hanging leg lifts is necessary.

Aaron Altamura

I think I'm in the exact same position as Michael! What should we work on until we progress to Hanging Leg Lifts?

Michael Stanwyck
44 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

this can explain why you are finding the SL progression harder. a minimum of manna development on hanging leg lifts is necessary.

Where would I ideally be in the Manna progression?

Alessandro Mainente

For sure ending the stall bar work so, the last variation of leg lifts.

Michael Stanwyck

Something I have noticed in these progressions with the stall bar is that at times the demonstrator has his hand on a bar that is in front of the stall bars and sometimes the demonstrator has his hands on bar that is in line with the stall bars.

The anterior positioning of the hands seems like it would actually make things a little easier in terms of getting my feet to the bar. Is there a preference here?

anterior.png

in line.png

Alessandro Mainente

In the case of this type of stall bar it does not make substantial differences.