This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

A8 Speed Skater squats form check

Started by Nick Goddard, October 22, 2019 · 3 Replies · 42 Views

Nick Goddard

Hi guys, I’m currently returning to leg strength training again. I had reached A8 - speed skater squats February earlier in the year when my left knee developed a cyst on the fat pad. 
 

Four weeks ago I had a steroid injection to remove the jelly from inside the cyst. Which so far has removed the pain I was getting from full lock out of the knee - mainly whilst in the push up position or a piked handstand. Apparently the cyst could come right back, but so far so good.
 

I’m currently using a yoga block and a thin book for height. Slowly lowering the height each week. I also do one mastery round of skier squats to warm up. Currently not feeling any pain performing the skater squat and natural leg extensions.
 

Any advice on form or supplementary exercises to allow me to carry on would be greatly appreciated. 
 

Thanks 

Nick 
 

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Nick, consider that this variation is depending upon your ankle mobility. one my best mentor (who is the head student of Tudor Bompa) said that ankle mobility should be developed when we are kids and that it should be maintained. there are few possibilities to regain when you're an adult. considering that if the range of motion is ankle-dependent i do not know how much you can improve, if it depends on the cyst...take it slowly.

Nick Goddard

Hey Alessandro, no it is not dependant on my ankle mobility. I am using that height as it feels very intense on my right knee when I go all the way to the floor. So I thought I would add the yoga block and book to slowly do lower sets. 

 

Going all the way to the floor feels like it might be too much on the knee area.

 

Is the form Ok on this current range?

 

thanks,

Alessandro Mainente

yes, it is ok, try to reach barely the books....do not bounce on them