This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE11 Wrist Wall Handstand

Started by Nils Westfelt, October 13, 2019 · 21 Replies · 205 Views

Nils Westfelt

Hi! 
I’d like a Formcheck on this please. I don’t really know what to aim for here. If I get any closer to the wall with my wrists I fall over. Also it seems that my chest is in the way so the closer I get to the wall the less open shoulder angle I get. What is the purpose of this progression? Is it to be in a slightly “overbalanced” position and to get stronger there or is it to get as straight as possible? 
Thanks

 

Coach Sommer
2 hours ago, Nils Westfelt said:

Is it to be in a slightly “overbalanced” position and to get stronger there or is it to get as straight as possible?

 

The goal is to be as straight as possible.

Your ribs are still out, pull the back flatter and open the shoulders more.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

Nils Westfelt
51 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

The goal is to be as straight as possible.

Your ribs are still out, pull the back flatter and open the shoulders more.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

Holy shit! Mr. Sommer! Feel like a kid in a candy store! :)

Well thank you for your response! Now I know what to aim for. 
Cheers!

Nils Westfelt

Hello fellas!

is this perhaps any better? Should I try to put my hands even closer to the wall or is that enough? 
cheers

 

Jeffrey Bittner

You're headed in the right direction, Nils! Keep working on opening your shoulders more.

Nils Westfelt
1 hour ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:

You're headed in the right direction, Nils! Keep working on opening your shoulders more.

Ok cool. Does hands need to come closer? Or is that a good position? 

Alessandro Mainente

Nope. they are in between 3-5 cm.

Nils Westfelt
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Nope. they are in between 3-5 cm.

”Nope” as in “they do NOT need to get closer” or “Nope” as in “They are not close enough”? Lol sorry for the confusion, just want to get it right.. :)

 

Alessandro Mainente
19 hours ago, Nils Westfelt said:

”Nope” as in “they do NOT need to get closer” or “Nope” as in “They are not close enough”? Lol sorry for the confusion, just want to get it right.. :)

 

Sorry...they are fine.

Nils Westfelt
18 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Sorry...they are fine.

:) cool

thanks!

Nils Westfelt

@Alessandro Mainente

Heres from today’s session. Trying to get straighter and opening my shoulders more. My untrained eye can’t really see much of a difference though.... I’m trying hard to keep my ribs in and pushing taller opening my shoulders. Is it any better? If I just move my hands like a few centimeters further from the wall I have no problem in opening my shoulders more. I know there’s a big difference in flexibility vs mobility but I’m thinking at least there’s not an issue of not being flexible enough. Maybe it’s more of a strength issue? Or is it simply my chest being in the way so the shoulder angle is a bit closed? 
Any pointers or thoughts are much appreciated!

cheers

 

Alessandro Mainente

A good point for opening more the shoulders is trying to externally rotate the upper arms. this lead to superior protraction, creating the space for the rib cage to move down and the sternum to move in.

Nils Westfelt

@Alessandro Mainente Externally is trying to get the armpits forward right? So for the right arm that is clockwise if I look at my hands?

haha sorry, I always mix these up, internal vs external...

Alessandro Mainente

Yes.

Nils Westfelt

@Alessandro Mainente

ok so here is one pic from yesterday’s session. I tried to focus on external rotation which I haven’t really focused on before. I felt it was pretty difficult in terms of not really much rotation is happening and more of a different activation. And it feels like externally rotated arms makes it more difficult to open up the shoulders BUT when I look at the picture my shoulders are more open than before.. I think :) ... Can you see any difference or is it just me? 
How far am I from acceptable form so I can start working on time? 
cheers

 

3508DD38-165E-485E-9146-CB4E3FA53781.png

Alessandro Mainente

The form is beautiful! and keep in your mind that ONLY with overhead protraction you can fully open the shoulders.

Nils Westfelt

Thank you! I’ll start working on time!

Nils Westfelt

@Alessandro Mainente

Hi man! 
Just wanted to see if this is still acceptable form? Working in time now, but want to make sure I’m not missing anything in my form? 
Cheers! 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

The side view looks solid, Nils! Can you also post a front view?

Nils Westfelt
9 hours ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:

The side view looks solid, Nils! Can you also post a front view?

Sure! I’ll post a front view next session! 

Nils Westfelt

@Jeffrey Bittner

here you go man! 
front view:

 

Alessandro Mainente

If you try t move one hand closer so the other you can reach full flexion. difficult to explain why from a physiological POV...but...try to move one hand closer to the other.