This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Where to start?

Started by Eran Hadar, September 13, 2019 · 3 Replies · 151 Views

Eran Hadar

Hey everyone,

I have been practicing handstands for about half a year before getting to Gymnastic Bodies.

What brought me here is my realization that while I have a pretty solid strength foundation, I am extremely lacking in over-head mobility. So, while I am able to hold myself up on my hands for a couple of seconds, my form is terrible, and I figured I was doing something wrong. I had been incorporating some mobility training into my program for a while, and while it has been improving, I felt I needed something that focuses on it more.

I began the handstand one course from scratch. I have no problem holding a Tripod for 60 seconds, yet the static seated shoulder flexion eludes me. It is very difficult for me to get the arms behind my ears and lean forward. I am sure I am not performing it well enough to move on. I am willing to put in the work and do the exercise as much as needed but I'm not even sure my current body state allows making progress with it.

What would you suggest that I do? Should I just keep doing the Tripod along with the static seated shoulder flexion and see if things improve? Should I stop my handstand practice and focus on shoulder mobility via other courses? If so, what courses would you recommend? In general, I have been told by a few personal trainers already that I am super tight (not just my shoulders but pretty much the entire body), and it seems like mobility and flexibility are my biggest challenges.  I have also started doing the Stretch Series, but they seem to be very challenging as well and I am also not sure whether I should just keep at it and hope it improves, or if there is something else I should be doing first. Where would you suggest I start my handstand journey? (potentially I should even take a few steps away from handstands in order to start)

Thanks!

EH

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Eran, in the past 7 years i have worked with hundreds of your situation. we can organize things as follows:

-you can do a couple of seconds of bad handstand so your body had not enough time to build up extreme bad habits. this is a good point.

-stop doing bad habits. so no handstand at all until mobility is restored;

-stay on shoulder flexion and tripod until you can show the proper range of motion and i suggest to post a video review of the private forum;

-begin thoracic bridge course and also foundations work so that all the basic upper arm and core strength can be a good complement for handstand work.

Eran Hadar
11 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Eran, in the past 7 years i have worked with hundreds of your situation. we can organize things as follows:

-you can do a couple of seconds of bad handstand so your body had not enough time to build up extreme bad habits. this is a good point.

-stop doing bad habits. so no handstand at all until mobility is restored;

-stay on shoulder flexion and tripod until you can show the proper range of motion and i suggest to post a video review of the private forum;

-begin thoracic bridge course and also foundations work so that all the basic upper arm and core strength can be a good complement for handstand work.

Hi Alessandro. Thank you so much, I really appreciate the input - Will follow your instructions. I assume you are referring to the thoracic bridge course from the stretch series?  Indeed looks like something that could help. Will also try the band series.

Thanks again! 

Alessandro Mainente

yes, I am referring to TB course.