This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS PE5 + iM

Started by James O'Boyle, September 10, 2019 · 16 Replies · 94 Views

James O'Boyle

Hi @Alessandro Mainente,

This is my first attempt at SLS PE5.  How does it look?

PE:

iM:

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

Hi James, the major issue is the PE, cna you hold the knees together?

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  During the elevated deck squats, even down to a height of 2-3", I can keep my knees together.  But when I go down to the floor they want to flare out.  During this PE do the feet have to stay together or can they be slightly apart?  Any ideas on how I can correct this, or will it just come with practice?

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

it comes with the practice but it is related to your internal rotation and we know that this is one of of your weak point.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente Gotcha.  I'll continue to work on it!

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente Hi Alessandro--I've been working on the deck squats for a couple of months but I haven't seen any improvement with my knees staying together.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

INternal rotation is important as the ankles mobility, you know you have strong hips limitations. but i cannot really suggest you move forward, for sure not after experiencing a limited hips mobility for many years. simply stay here and restore the hips mobility.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  I definitely want to fix this one.  I'm going to try to use some elevation and gradually reduce it over time.

How does my form look here?  This is with about 2" of elevation.

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

Hi James, probably 2 cm elevate is enough to pass the point where the internal limitation and body compression over the upper leg is the problem. Personally i think that with this variation you can make strength transition easier but not mobility deficit better.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Should I reduce the elevation?

Alessandro Mainente

Yes for sure, but you will find again the same gap as before. is not a strength deficit, is a mobility deficit. you need to fix it.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  But how?

Alessandro Mainente

spl IM1. I'm still doing it after 9 years from my first GB seminar.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  My PT told me my hip internal rotation was limited by my hip socket and there was no way I could improve it.  You told me to move on from sPL iM1 because there was nothing I could do.  Do you feel like somehow I can improve my deck squats even though my internal rotation can't improve?

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, James O'Boyle said:

@Alessandro Mainente  My PT told me my hip internal rotation was limited by my hip socket and there was no way I could improve it.  You told me to move on from sPL iM1 because there was nothing I could do.  Do you feel like somehow I can improve my deck squats even though my internal rotation can't improve?

In order to be completely sure you need to have an Xray. i was thinking almost 9 years ago that my hip was structurally limited...but now i can do better squat than 8 years ago. unfortunately only an Xray can confirm that.

if the problem is confirmed then you will always have a limitation on compressing the upper body to the legs and the only solution is opening the legs stance.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Hi Alessandro,

Sounds good, I'll work on getting an X-Ray when I see my doc at the end of the month and I'll report back.  For now, I'll see what happens if I widen my stance with the deck squats.

Thanks!,

James

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente I tried the deck squats this week with a wider stance and they caused back pain--I think because of rolling onto my back from a different position.  I am definitely willing to put in the work to improve my mobility and strength (I'm still working on MN PE1!) but this is an exercise that I don't think is a good idea for me considering my spinal fusion.  I don't want to ruffle any feathers but I would like to skip this PE and move on.

Thanks,

James