This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS mobility PE2,4

Started by Riccardo Zanello, September 7, 2019 · 8 Replies · 125 Views

Riccardo Zanello

Hello guys

I can never come to bring the barbell up to shoulder height in the mobility ex’s of HS-PE2 & PE4, no matter the weight employed or the grip width adopted.

I’ve been trying to overcome it for  more than one year but I kept failing so I simply progressed through the series. Strength exercises come easier.

is it possible to achieve shoulder height somehow, or might it be a permanent mobility deficit for some?

 

thank you

 

RZ

Eloy Bote

I can relate so much to that. Don't use weights and keep working on it, I think the key is to really squeeze your shoulder blades together and develop good strength in the middle back muscles . My personal approach is daily work on that, maybe works for you too, but watch out your scapular retraction to make sure it's not holding you back, scapular shurgs is a good exercise to check that out.

James O'Boyle

I can relate.

I find that focusing on reaching back behind me with the bar (scapular retraction) and externally rotating my shoulders (think of pulling the ends of the bar up towards the ceiling) really helps.

Definitely lose the weight and widen your grip until you can get the bar  to 90 degrees before narrowing the grip to shoulder width and then adding weight and starting the process again.

Riccardo Zanello

I usually do what you say but I will focus on it even more.

Do you guys progressed with the strength HS elements anyway?

If I stayed at HS-PE2 to achieve 90 degrees in the mobility exercise I’d still be stuck there and probably would be for months if not years

James O'Boyle

@Riccardo Zanello I've stuck with the protocol and have stayed on PE2 while I master the mobility component.  For reference, I've been on HS PE2 for about 10 months and I've almost got it.  I personally am trusting in the process here.  My strength gains are limited by my mobility gains but that is okay--in the past (pre-Gymnastic Bodies), I've progressed too quickly and I always end up injured.  For example, early last year I was training the ring muscle up transition and ring muscle up negatives and I ended up with triceps tendinosis and loose cartilage in my elbow joint--9 months of PT.  Just recently I was working on breaking a bouldering plateau, training too hard and I aggravated the elbow again--4 weeks of rest with little improvement, so it's back to PT for me.  Learning to slow down is hard (apparently I haven't learned yet), but it's worth it.

Eloy Bote
8 hours ago, Riccardo Zanello said:

I usually do what you say but I will focus on it even more.

Do you guys progressed with the strength HS elements anyway?

If I stayed at HS-PE2 to achieve 90 degrees in the mobility exercise I’d still be stuck there and probably would be for months if not years

You should not advance in the program without mastering the mobility, because mobility is there for a good reason: you will need it (sooner or later). Maybe sometimes the next elements are not related to the mobility you trained in the previous step but we are not experts to figure that out so the only thing we can do is just stick to the program.

Anyways I do gymnastics so when my coach says do handstand I have to do handstand... you can't disobey the coach.

The first mobility elements of the HS course are very hard: full flexion, full extension, and very narrow dislocation. But after that you won't need to worry about mobility anymore, the progress is fairly easy.

The 180 degrees flexion with weights was hard for me too, and the extension is being even harder, but I'm progressing with daily work. Today after my extension work I hanged to the bar to check my german hang and it was great, close to shoulder width apart, body in vertical position, and with a nice scapular retraction. The constnt work is paying off.

Riccardo Zanello
17 hours ago, Eloy Bote said:

You should not advance in the program without mastering the mobility, because mobility is there for a good reason: you will need it (sooner or later). Maybe sometimes the next elements are not related to the mobility you trained in the previous step but we are not experts to figure that out so the only thing we can do is just stick to the program.

Anyways I do gymnastics so when my coach says do handstand I have to do handstand... you can't disobey the coach.

The first mobility elements of the HS course are very hard: full flexion, full extension, and very narrow dislocation. But after that you won't need to worry about mobility anymore, the progress is fairly easy.

The 180 degrees flexion with weights was hard for me too, and the extension is being even harder, but I'm progressing with daily work. Today after my extension work I hanged to the bar to check my german hang and it was great, close to shoulder width apart, body in vertical position, and with a nice scapular retraction. The constnt work is paying off.

Ok thank you both.

I will “trust the process” (wonderful advice to soothe myself).

 

thank you

 

Riccardo

Eloy Bote
7 hours ago, Riccardo Zanello said:

Ok thank you both.

I will “trust the process” (wonderful advice to soothe myself).

 

thank you

 

Riccardo

Don't forget that you can ask the coaches for help. Mobility has 2 components, flexibility and strength, and before the strength you need the flexibility so if you can't reach 90 degrees no matter how wide you grab, probably you need to do additional stretches.

Riccardo Zanello

Thank you