This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Skipping breakfast not allowed on Thrive?

Started by Colin 357535, September 6, 2019 · 12 Replies · 320 Views

Colin 357535

Just started Thrive, looking to lose weight.

The early steps were already habits. In fact, I was accustomed to drinking 4 liters of water per day eating two hands full of vegetables at each meal.  The only change to my routine was fat at breakfast. I've gone a few years skipping breakfast altogether. I believe some people call this "intermittent fasting."

Since starting Thrive six weeks ago, I've ticked up a few pounds. Obviously that could be due to many different factors, but my average bodyweight pre-Thrive was 235, and that's up to 240. 

Is it mandatory to take in breakfast upon waking? Or can I have my breakfast fat with protein and no carbs at lunchtime? 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Colin, if the course suggests this particular option if you can follow it do it. if necessary you can modify a bit the schedule.

Jared Lybbert

Colin, Let's assume you aren't overeating in general. I'd say from my own experience that you shouldn't be skipping breakfast, if you find yourself not hungry at all in the morning then try slimming down your dinner and front loading your calories in the day. Remember, it's important to actually feel hungry.
 

Richard Barnes

I'm by no means a nutritional master, but recently I've heard of some studies saying that if you're doing intermittent fasting you might be better off eating breakfast and skipping dinner. I don't have any specific studies to link but the info shouldn't be hard to find. Might be worth trying to eat breakfast and skip dinner instead. Worth a shot...?

Alessandro Mainente

Well....i have moved 2 years ago from 23% body fat to 6% bodyfat easting 4 times a day. so trust me....at our level of fitness and goals...trying to make these adjustments does not make a substantial difference.

James Strack
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Well....i have moved 2 years ago from 23% body fat to 6% bodyfat easting 4 times a day. so trust me....at our level of fitness and goals...trying to make these adjustments does not make a substantial difference.

Very impressive Alessandro.  Was that intermittent fasting, One meal a day fasting, or water fasting 4 times a day you did that with?

James O'Boyle

I think he meant *eating* 4 times a day.  Probably mostly pasta--right, Alessandro??  :)

James Strack

Wow I see you are right.  Although if I feasted I would get super fat.  Metabolism very slow at this point.

I have done intermittent fasting for 3 years now black coffee is my breakfast.  Several water fasts up to 7 days and tried OMAD b4.  Well I started at 255 got down to 169 than had a major stress event that lasted months so I gained back 30.  Been sitting at 200 for quite a few weeks now.

Keto is my diet should get back down but it's a slow process compared to how fast you can gain weight.  Lol.

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, James Strack said:

Wow I see you are right.  Although if I feasted I would get super fat.  Metabolism very slow at this point.

I have done intermittent fasting for 3 years now black coffee is my breakfast.  Several water fasts up to 7 days and tried OMAD b4.  Well I started at 255 got down to 169 than had a major stress event that lasted months so I gained back 30.  Been sitting at 200 for quite a few weeks now.

Keto is my diet should get back down but it's a slow process compared to how fast you can gain weight.  Lol.

Yes i wan meaning eating... sometimes 3 days a day, sometimes 4 times...

my diet was progressively more rigid as i moved from high to medium to low body fat percentage....so the biggest goal was the total protein intake due to the necessity of maintaining muscles...especially when i wan in the period of strong cut with an average of 2200-2300 kcal/day. in that period i had some days with 15-20 gr of fat....protein source were fish with the low fat, chicken chest (i don't know if this is the correct English translation)...and egg white.

once you are close to the normal daily NEAT that means normal body consuming at rest the secret of losing more fat again is increasing the gap by increasing the activity with a non-collateral fitness activity. non - collateral refers to activities that do not induce reduction on recovery or loss of performance in the major sports activities.....so walking or biking at very low intensity...

reducing the weight only with diet means that when weight loss stops you have only one strategy if you do not consider sports in your life...that is additional calories reduction...intermittent fasting at this stage does not make any differences. the goal is always one..only one: the deficit. period.

but you cannot reduce calorie intake always because fat cannot stay for too much time under a certain level and protein intake is important...and if you eat less, the more your training will be less effective. you cannot train without energy.

actually i'm training my parents with basic GST..they were used to train less and only walk...but in a long time, the body adapts better to the "non-collateral" activities compared to activities with higher muscles work. they have lost 3 kg in one month with a daily intake fo 1600-1700 kcal/day.

At the moment with my clients (who i manage with my nutritional competencies..after 5 long years of study for habilitation) i say at the beginning that i DO NOT FOLLOW PERSON WHO CANNOT DO SOME SPORTS IN THE WEEK. because it means an unflexible diet.

James O'Boyle

"Chicken chest" = "Chicken breast" in English.

That makes sense, I'm starting to think I need to shift my focus more towards total protein intake..  I think I'm eating too much fat and not enough protein.

I've hit a plateau at 15% body fat.  My goal is 12%.  I weigh 155lbs so that means losing about 5lbs of fat.  I've been eating a ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting for about 8 months.  I've lost 50lbs so far but my progress has stalled.  

I just recently added some basic hypertrophy work into my schedule (kettlebells) and starting doing long walks in the morning with a weighted backpack.  I'm hoping that this plus focus on protein intake (daily intake of 3/4g per lb of goal bodyweight?) will help.

James Strack

@James Boyle  Yeah I am stalled atm too.  I think part of my problem is I refuse to weigh food and thus am eating too much keto foods.  Have you tried Carnivore, if you get enough fat seems like a good way to go.  Although meats are getting pretty pricey now.

I will look into the hypertrophy work your talking about as well.

James O'Boyle

I haven't tried carnivore although I do notice that I feel really satiated when I have a meal that is mostly meat (i.e. grilling on the 4th of July recently).  I only eat 2 meals per day but I think I overcompensate during my "breakfast"--usually eggs, vegetables, sausages/bacon but afterwards I always dip into the almond butter a little too hard to get the calories I need...  I'm thinking some more meat or an extra egg or two will tip things in the right direction and I won't need the extra fat.  

Alessandro Mainente

NOtice guys that i'm not on keto or paleo or carnivore....the first goal of a deficit is avoiding body using the remaining muscle protein, so the total protein intake can be higher in a deficit period compared to a maintenance diet or surplus diet. not losing muscles is the first goal still considering that is normal losing some muscles. if you are lucky the ratio is something like 3 kg lost, 1 of muscles...if you have genetics maybe 4 kg lost, 1 of muscle. and it strongly depends on the sports activity...daily protein intake...time under deficit...etc.