This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pancake roll through form check

Started by Eloy Bote, August 24, 2019 · 3 Replies · 86 Views

Eloy Bote

Hi guys,

I'm somewhat good with middle splits but I can't close my legs at the front during pancake roll thorugh. My seated pike is not very good because I can't flex my lower back, I lack compression. So when I do this exercise I'm like swiming backwards :D

Any tip?

 

Alessandro Mainente

A LIttle tip, when you move backward strive to hold the APT until you reach the floor with your butt.

Eloy Bote

OK I watched the follow along video with the 3 people doing the exercises and now I'm trying to do it like the more flexible person of the 3, with the chest on the floor when I drive the legs from the back to the front and then closing them at the front. It's way harder but I like the leg workout.

When I drive the legs to the back I can pass through the full splits but when I do it from the back to the front I can't, I have to lift my butt off the ground, why?

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Eloy Bote said:

OK I watched the follow along video with the 3 people doing the exercises and now I'm trying to do it like the more flexible person of the 3, with the chest on the floor when I drive the legs from the back to the front and then closing them at the front. It's way harder but I like the leg workout.

When I drive the legs to the back I can pass through the full splits but when I do it from the back to the front I can't, I have to lift my butt off the ground, why?

A bit complex to describe.it is a problem related to the biomechanics of the hips joint.

i'll try to be more clear as possible with simple words:

-from back to front hips are extended,  adducted and neutral rotation this means that in order reach the split you need to externally rotate first while moving to hips flexion. basically the hips sacrifice some abduction so that the upper leg can rotate in the socket.

-from front to back you move from hips flexed, adducted and neutral rotation to internal rotation. this position makes the transition to hips flexed , abducted and internal rotation easier.

the big difference is the starting position that is in one case hips extended and in the other one, hips flexed.