This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Sore ACL on elevated deck squat

Started by Joshua Stevens, August 19, 2019 · 5 Replies · 85 Views

Joshua Stevens

After doing a few elevated deck squats today, I experienced a small pain through the right ACL each time I rolled back onto my feet. Is there any preparation or stretching I can do beforehand to ensure the ACL it is ready for deck squats? I get the same sensation as I go deep into the skier too. I haven’t had ACL issues before but don’t want to turn this into an injury. 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Joshua, the deck squat does not overstress the ACL, to stress it a specific instability movement should be done. are you using the previous PE as a warmup?

Joshua Stevens

What are you referring to when you say the previous PE?

I am doing the 7 minute warm up then straight to elevated deck squats. 

The pain comes from the front of the kneecap and rather deep, so assuming the ACL

Coach Sommer

“experienced a small pain each time”

This is an issue, you should not be training through joint pain.

Increase the height of your elevation and see if it corrects the problem.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

Joshua Stevens
13 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

“experienced a small pain each time”

This is an issue, you should not be training through joint pain.

Increase the height of your elevation and see if corrects the problem.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

Thanks Coach, will do that.  I still want to warm up and condition my joints/tendons so over time I can lower the elevation.  Do you recommend a particular program for this such as Knee mobility or weighted mobility videos?

Coach Sommer
8 hours ago, Joshua Stevens said:

Thanks Coach, will do that.  I still want to warm up and condition my joints/tendons so over time I can lower the elevation.  Do you recommend a particular program for this such as Knee mobility or weighted mobility videos?

Could, but not really necessary.  You are already doing the work.  Now you just have to be patient and give the joints time to adapt and strengthen as you work through the progressions.   Keep listening to those joints; they will help you find the sweet spot in your training if you listen!

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer