Wanted to check form on the pike shoulder extension iM, currently at 4lbs:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/341xgfoy8xp6zec/Video Aug 05%2C 7 46 20 PM.mov?dl=0
at which pace should I increase the weight?
thanks!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Felipe Garcia Rosa, August 6, 2019 · 15 Replies · 141 Views
Wanted to check form on the pike shoulder extension iM, currently at 4lbs:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/341xgfoy8xp6zec/Video Aug 05%2C 7 46 20 PM.mov?dl=0
at which pace should I increase the weight?
thanks!
You should increase the weigth only if:
-you can fully compress the upper body over the legs;
-you can reach almost the floor with the bar.
Thanks Alex. I have been doing front split series for 3 years now. Do you have any stretches to do on a daily basis to improve my pike?
Or I should just do this pike shoulder extension more frequently?
It depends on your actual level of the pike and on your limitation. unfortunately, I cannot have more information via the web, it is something that i can understand only by looking you face to face.
Oh I see, what should I do then?
If your pike is "face to the shinbone" , so basically, a perfect pike, you need to work on MN IM and simply improve it.
Hi @Alessandro Mainente My pike is not perfect, and I have been doing fs for 3 years now, should I do some daily stretching focosing on pike? Which exercises you recommend?
There is nothing that i can recommend specifically because i do not know your weak points. maybe a PT can say something more because can see you face to face. meanwhile, the best thing you can do is still following the front split stretch course.
I understand Alex, but its been difficult to find a pt here, maybe if I share specific videos or give you more details could work?
I know you said its difficult on the web, but at least taking a look at different positions for my pike would be extremely appreciated!
Specific advice is something that, for personal logistic choice, I do not manage online.
On 8/18/2019 at 8:43 PM, Felipe Garcia Rosa said:I understand Alex, but its been difficult to find a pt here, maybe if I share specific videos or give you more details could work?
I know you said its difficult on the web, but at least taking a look at different positions for my pike would be extremely appreciated!
Hey Felipe,
Maybe you can share some videos of your current Jefferson curl, that exercise can reveal some weak points of your pike. In my personal case it's obvious that, even with good hamstring flexibility, I lack lower back flexion. I remember some online paper that talked about hamstring flexibility issues in gymnastics and how can be related to core activation, it's super common to see very flexible kids with very bad pike, I'm sure coaches can relate to that
The best approach is visit a good sports pt but if you don't have any at hand, well, I hope some common easy to check issues can help you so you can advance and not be frustrated.
Thanks Eloy! Here I share a video of my jeff curl https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qxsttetmahck5r/Video Aug 26%2C 7 51 17 PM.mov?dl=0
how does it look?
Let's see what coaches say about it. For me you are going too fast and not doing too much curl of the spine, and your lower back seems locked maybe? Just wait for coach review I hope they can see what's going on there.
The jefferson curl itself is ok BUT the compression not enough for the piked shoulder extension, in fact, the Jefferson curl is an exercise to strengthening the posterior upper body back chain and not a stretching exercise. this is a common mistake of the world fitness community.
Thanks again Alex, I know you said its hard to help me over the web, but with this video do you have any suggestions as to what should I do? Would you like to see other video?