This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Ground rows

Started by Iain McLean, August 4, 2019 · 21 Replies · 256 Views

Iain McLean

I’m on step 4 of ground rows.  Anything to change?

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Iain, nice work.

Sam Petulla
On 8/4/2019 at 5:44 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Iain, nice work.

@Alessandro Mainente In the GB form tip video, Wesley has the ring straps straight down. In some of the threads here, it's said to have them at a slight angle (like above); in others it's said to have them straight down. Straight down is obviously harder but which is OK for mastery?

Alessandro Mainente

Straight down you mean vertical to the floor?

well it also depends on the height of the straps, i mean that with the same body position you can have apparently different straps inclination. in the starting position, the straps should be completely vertical.  So Iain needs to move a bit on the right.

Sam Petulla

When performing the rows, should the straps stay vertical or is it OK to have some angle to them? His straps have some angle when he is at full extension, then are vertical to the floor at the top.  @Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro Mainente

Vertical.

Marco Levati

Can I have a check on form too? :) I have been progressing steadily until 4x12. I am stuck here since 3 weeks. 

https://youtu.be/uG4bViDPO9U

Alessandro Mainente

IN the first video i would stop to the 4-5 repetition. too much compensation in the other. in case of high difficulty on progressing i suggest working the biceps specifically for a couple of days in the week. something like 3-4 set of 10-12 reps.

Josh Earl
15 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

IN the first video i would stop to the 4-5 repetition. too much compensation in the other. in case of high difficulty on progressing i suggest working the biceps specifically for a couple of days in the week. something like 3-4 set of 10-12 reps.

Are you recommending curls for this, Alessandro? 

Alessandro Mainente

Yes.

But only after other strategies do not produce a result. when you work for too many session on one schema like 4x12, begin trying adding one more set FIRST.

Iain McLean

Like my pushup, I have also completely stalled on this element (around 9 months as well without improvement).  I am currently working 4X9.  

I am noticing some asymmetry in my pulling.  It is apparent in my left foot as seen at the end of the 4th set.

Looking for any tips.

4th set:

extra 5th set (Side view):

 

Alessandro Mainente
18 hours ago, Iain McLean said:

Like my pushup, I have also completely stalled on this element (around 9 months as well without improvement).  I am currently working 4X9.  

I am noticing some asymmetry in my pulling.  It is apparent in my left foot as seen at the end of the 4th set.

Looking for any tips.

4th set:

extra 5th set (Side view):

 

My first suggestion is thinking about retracting a bit of the left scapulae from the beginning. this can lead to a major problem that is the deactivation of the right lat and more work on the biceps which aren't as strong as lats. If this asymmetrical work is done from the first rep of the first set you finish with a sore bicep on one side and sore lat on the opposite.

Iain McLean
5 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

My first suggestion is thinking about retracting a bit of the left scapulae from the beginning. this can lead to a major problem that is the deactivation of the right lat and more work on the biceps which aren't as strong as lats. If this asymmetrical work is done from the first rep of the first set you finish with a sore bicep on one side and sore lat on the opposite.

So I'll focus on retracting both scapula equally... It looks like I'm not externally rotating the ring as much on my left side, could this be linked to not enough retraction on the left side?

Alessandro Mainente

Yes they are related.

Iain McLean

It’s taken a long time but I’m finally at mastery. Clean enough to move on? @Alessandro Mainente

 

Bill Marr

Hey Iain: Congrats on this. If this isn't mastery, it's darn close. Gotta say, this is THE hardest exercise in GST, followed by HBP Push-ups. Guarantee most folks on this site that have blown past both these exercises never truly mastered either. They are tough! Well done. Have a wonderful Christmas Season!

Iain McLean
4 hours ago, Bill Marr said:

Hey Iain: Congrats on this. If this isn't mastery, it's darn close. Gotta say, this is THE hardest exercise in GST, followed by HBP Push-ups. Guarantee most folks on this site that have blown past both these exercises never truly mastered either. They are tough! Well done. Have a wonderful Christmas Season!

Thanks for the support @Bill Marr. This progression along with HBP2 have been a real battle but it’s a nice feeling finally being at mastery volume with a new progression on the horizon. Hope you’ve been able to make some progress with these if you’re not already past them.

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Iain McLean said:

It’s taken a long time but I’m finally at mastery. Clean enough to move on? @Alessandro Mainente

 

they are clean...as general suggestion: engage the shoulder blade first..then pull the elbows...

Iain McLean
On 12/11/2023 at 5:42 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

they are clean...as general suggestion: engage the shoulder blade first..then pull the elbows...

How’s this @Alessandro Mainente?

 

Alessandro Mainente
6 hours ago, Iain McLean said:

How’s this @Alessandro Mainente?

 

Perfect...for sure you can it now with more fluidity...but you can move on if you can perform the mastery set.

Iain McLean

@Alessandro Mainente I’ve added some fluidity to the pull. Good to move on?

 

Alessandro Mainente
41 minutes ago, Iain McLean said:

@Alessandro Mainente I’ve added some fluidity to the pull. Good to move on?

 

wonderful