This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Round off development

Started by Guido Franchetti, July 11, 2019 · 3 Replies · 76 Views

Guido Franchetti

What is a sensible progression of drills for the development of the round off?

I was thinking that cartwheel -> cartwheel step-in -> simultaneous work on block cartwheel, handstand snap-down, handstand pops and finally round off could be a way to approach it, is that right?

Here are links showing the drills I mentioned

Cartwheel step-in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvr32f_mJeM


Block cartwheel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUJ8dnCQPzg
Handstand snap down (courbette) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5r-_eAHJxE
Handstand pop (execution in the video seems pretty bad to me) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncNGhu2Y0yE

 

 

 

Guido Franchetti

So, I know this is not really part of tumbling one but I'll give it another try.

This is a ro to prone on mat. My hands do not come off at the same time. In a full roundoff it shouldn't happen, but is it possible to avoid it in this variation? Anything else I should correct?

 

This

is a hs snapdown. I don't like it very much as the snapdown seems to come from piking more than anything else, and arching is mostly from the back rather than the shoulders but I am not sure about how to correct it.

Coach Sommer

Your snap down is really more of a fall down.  Sorry to be so direct, but really not much of anything going on power-wise.

You must block much harder and snap the torso upwards so that your torso is either vertical or slightly past vertical by the time your feet hit the floor.  Your must land with chest in and shoulder protracted, arms horizontal, knees slightly bent, hips in PPT as well as back behind the knees.

Try working off elevated surface(s) at first and gradually lower the height as your technique and power improve.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

Guido Franchetti

Directness is appreciated, thanks for the corrections coach!