This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Additional lower back flexion work

Started by Eloy Bote, July 11, 2019 · 32 Replies · 465 Views

Alessandro Mainente

Once you have reached the PPT you need to push your hips forward while staying with the chest in (like the elbow plank position) without moving the shoulder. only hips move forward.

it is not easy to teach it via the web but trust me, i have both front split and i feel this stretch like the hell. one people with lordosis is simply impossible to feel zero stretches.

Eloy Bote

Little update to this. I've been working 6 day a week in this 4x90 seconds on each leg, and pt every 2 or 3 weeks. I think my hip flexors are better, at least I have been able to go all the way down in my left front split but still not squared don't blame me.

Here is the Thomas test my pt have started to do to see the improvement over time. The first pic is censored not showing anything inappropriate.

 

IMG_20190913_151404.jpg

IMG_20190913_151331.jpg

Eloy Bote

It's been 5 months since I started to stretch the hip flexors daily and the improve is huge. I mean, I started stretching like 5 years ago and my hamstrings improved a lot but I was never been able to do the front splits even with bad form. Now I can go all the way down, squaring the hips with help but when I do it alone I still twist the hips, just need to keep working on the hip flexors more.

 

The back leg twists but still is an amazing milestone for me! My right hip flexors seems more loose than my left, while my left hamstrings are more flexible than my right side, I'm lefty in gymnastics and I don't know if that's the reason of this. My right front splits are way harder to do, some days I can't go all the way down.

Any course exercise recommended to strengthen the mobility of the back of the legs? I don't know if it's related but when I do front handspring I feel that I can't kick hard enough to get my back leg over my head.

Alessandro Mainente

Hip squares when you are not enough stretched in the hips flexor. the primary goal should be to reduce the split square the hips and try to push the hips forward rather than reaching lower with the anterior leg. for what is concerned with front handspring you do not need a full front split in order to to the perfectly.

Eloy Bote
6 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hip squares when you are not enough stretched in the hips flexor. the primary goal should be to reduce the split square the hips and try to push the hips forward rather than reaching lower with the anterior leg. for what is concerned with front handspring you do not need a full front split in order to to the perfectly.

Can you link any picture that demonstrates the hip position you mention please? I'm having a hard time imagining  that.

Alessandro Mainente

I do not have a picture at the moment, basically, if you do not reverse completely the lumbar spine curve you more the stretch more on the joint capsule section rather than on the hips flexor. now you are in APT, you should decrease the depth of the split at the point where you can stay with PPT.

Eloy Bote

Do you mean keep ppt only during stretches? That's what I do with the bent lunge stretch, but how do you do a full split with ppt? Even the super flexible girl in the course exercise FSSSE23 has apt if I'm not wrong.

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Eloy Bote said:

Do you mean keep ppt only during stretches? That's what I do with the bent lunge stretch, but how do you do a full split with ppt? Even the super flexible girl in the course exercise FSSSE23 has apt if I'm not wrong.

The fact that they are holding APT does not mean that the ideal configuration to stretch hips flexor is APT.