This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Some progress on PE2 iM

Started by Nicola Onose, July 4, 2019 · 3 Replies · 81 Views

Nicola Onose

After three years, a few elbow and arm injuries, and training with different stretching techniques, I feel like I finally made a bit of progress on the shoulder extension.

A few days ago I was bendier and got maybe 1 cm higher, unfortunately I didn't record that.

But I feel that I hit another plateau and it's not easy to get unstuck. If it were hamstrings or hips, I could try to stretch harder, but shoulders and elbows are somewhat more delicate, at least mine. 

Any suggestion besides biting the bullet and waiting to see if progress eventually resumes ?

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Nicola, I always suggest reading the posts about the same elements in the forum because now I'm going to tell you exactly what I have already written in other posts maybe 20-30 times. your executions show an approach mistake: I can see the weigth on the bar. now the first goal is RANGE of motion first no matter the weigth or the grip. in your case, the grip is too much. so:

1-take off the weigth and increase the grip until you can perform shoulder extension at the point where the arms are parallel to the ground.

2-then reach the 10'' goal.

3-then without increasing the weigth reduce the grip until you reach shoulder width, then you can add weigth and search a grip where you can lift the bar with a proper 90° shoulder extension and begin again.

Nicola Onose

Hello, Alessandro, I remember now about that method, I think I read that two or three years ago. But it has never worked for me. The only thing that worked was to carefully and slowly make progress on the German Hang.

I was just trying to quantify how far off I am, vertically. I guess your method measures how far off horizontally one is.

 

Alessandro Mainente

The problem is not measuring how far you are from horizontal but how far you are from shoulder width grip because the horizontal arms position it is something that should never change from the first set because the range of motion comes first.