This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pec minor

Started by James O'Boyle, June 23, 2019 · 3 Replies · 89 Views

James O'Boyle

Hi coaches,

I've been working consistently on improving my shoulder flexion & extension, doing the TB course once a week, as well as a couple extra sets of elevated cat throughout the week and HS PE 1 & 2 iMs.

I've been told in the past (years ago) by a PT that pec minor is a tight muscle for me.   Two questions:

1) If pec minor is tight, can it limit shoulder extension as well as flexion?

2) Are there any specific mobility components you would recommend programming to help with pec minor tightness?  There is one stretch I do occasionally that I like--it's almost like the reverse of the capsule stretch--you lay in the prone position with one arm extended at about a 60 degree angle and roll "away" from the shoulder that is pressing into the floor to initiate the stretch.  Are there any other good ways to target this area?

Thanks all,

James

Alessandro Mainente

Hi James, pec minor for sure is a limiting factor for shoulder flexion and spine extension and it can make the shoulder extension painful for rotator cuff.

A good way for stretching the pec minor is the reverse cat position of TB course with hands wider, i would say a 90° angle in between the 2 arms.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Thanks Alessandro, I'll give that a shot--you mean the "inverted" cat, correct?

Alessandro Mainente

yes.