This is a bit long winded, but even so.
I discovered this website about a year ago, by way of the Crossfit main site, and got inspired enough to start using my rings and pull-up bar with a bit more focus. I knew I could do a muscle-up (no kipping) and decided that it was time to see what I could make of a front lever; having admired and aspired to do John Gill’s FL and one arm PU way back when I was a rock jock. So, here is what I discovered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?vrncGa8wC4X4
Time to let the world know that (gymnastic skills’) life is not over yet in your late 60’s. Owing a (small) debt to the good CF community and conscious about their definition of fitness, I posted a challenge: 10 sec. hold of straddle FL, BL, and 30 sec. free HS. Of course, hubris (and the urge to show off) took hold of me and I started to try skills that take a lot more base line than I have, like the iron cross (thank you Blairbob for giving me a nudge back in the right direction):
Fortunately my elbows told me to not push it and I got back on track with the free HS training, starting out with bungee cord support:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn9zoG6cRDuY
, and then, after 2 months having found the right ceiling height in my house and with another 4 months of diligent practice, my 25 second free HS (I know, I still have to learn to kick up into a free HS, but that will come, believe me):
You can imagine that I have now become very curious about how far I can get with these simple static gymnastic skills, which I simply love to do. So, I got coach Sommer’s book and are experimenting now with further programming for the FL, BL and free HS. I plan to make use of the digital coaching here if there is something to coach. You are more than welcome to comment on my current FL, iron cross and HS form, but please realize that this may be as good as it gets. Currently, I expect that it takes at least 50 hours of quality practice to get a good handle on a new skill (like a free HS push up, once having mastered the free HS).
Besides feeling really good, one of the side benefits of all this is that I have started to get serious about stretching (using some basic yoga). No, I do not have a gymnastics background. I am not an exceptional athlete. My age and proportions are not ideal for gymnastics (69 this month, 6’1â€, 169 lbs). I am not interested in getting “bigâ€; more than happy with how I look. My strength and body control that allowed me to get a straddle FL pretty quickly are probably from rowing and long distance x-cntry skiing (e.g. double poling 40 km). If you are curious to see how that works, here I am rowing a 2- in a 7.5 km race: