This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Piriformis Stretch

Started by James O'Boyle, June 20, 2019 · 10 Replies · 193 Views

James O'Boyle

Hi @Alessandro Mainente!,

How does my form look for the piriformis stretch?

 

 

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

Hey James, pay attention that the front leg must be in line with the middle (sagittal plane) of your body and if possible hold a 90° to the knee.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente Got it!  More like this, right?  I definitely feel it hitting the spot now.

 

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

Hy James, sorry it is a matter of technical terms. with the leg you men the upper leg, while on physiology we mean lower leg...so the feet should be in line with the sagittal plane.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente Sorry, I'm a little confused here--how should I adjust the form?  I thought the front and back legs should be parallel? Should I slide my front foot more towards my midline?

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

Exactly. When I referred to leg....i was referring to the shinbone and consequently the foot position.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  I'm still confused about this.  I slid my front food towards my mid-line and made sure my shinbone was running at a 90 degree angle, but I still don't feel this stretch at all.  Am I still doing it wrong?

Thanks,

James

 

 

Piriformis Front View 6:27:19.jpg

Piriformis Side View 6:27:19.jpg

Alessandro Mainente

It is ok now. feel free to put a mat under the front knee.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente Thanks Alessandro!  What is the best way to intensify this stretch from here?

Alessandro Mainente

The same things as the other 7 milliard people in the world. reach the floor with all the legs part.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Ha!  Gotcha.