This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wrist stifness vs possible wrist injury

Started by MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ, June 15, 2019 · 5 Replies · 85 Views

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ

Hello everyone, after I train UB day (with planche leans) and next day handstand, I feel my wrist with a bit of discomfort. Is not pain, it's as if they are all stiff but, I would like to know how to differentiate when its because they need rest (to recover from stiffness) and when it has been too much for joints. This discomfort disappears after I warm up, and there is no pain when I am doing my exercises, but it comes next days, and I would like to make sure this is how it should be

After handstand day, if I bend my wrist backward or frontward I will feel some discomfort at my angle limit, but I would like to difference when I am reaching my limit to prevent injuries. This is because in the past I have trained handstands by myself without good wrist flexibility and I have had a soft injury in my left wrist and I would not like to pass again through it (this has been one of the main reasons to join GBT, training with a good knowledge of what I am doing and why)

So, when I get this feeling of discomfort, should I keep with the current schedule or stop with any exercise that is demanding to wrists? (and what about using wrist wraps for these days?)

Thanks! (and sorry if my English is not good, I'm not an English native speaker)

Alessandro Mainente

HI Mario, when pain occurs also on the resting situation you need to reduce the amount of stress. the normal strategy is taking another that of rest from painful movement.

consider that if you are experimenting pain on the same exercises maybe having a form check can be a good way to understand a technical problem or have a suggestion on how to modify temporarily the execution. but never train on pain or train also if after the warm up the pain disappears.

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ

Ok, It happened 2 weeks ago after UB day, probably on lean planche but now there is no pain or discomfort. I will try to upload form check this week on UP and HS exercises just to make sure

 

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

If after 2 weeks the pain still remains it is the time to see a PT.

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ

I went to visit a physiotherapist as wrist discomfort remains, and he told me to take some rest on exercises that require wrist to avoid worsening, and after that, do more often wrist exercises (handstand foundation ones, extensions, flexions, walks...)

So, I will stop any exercise that requires wrist in some way for 1-2 weeks, but I want to keep it going with those that do not require wrist. The question is, in core day, what exercise can I do for replacing these ones:

- Stall bar reverse leg lifts 

- Negative hanging leg lift 

 

And also, any exercise that you would recommend as restore wrist after this time off?

 

Thanks and sorry for expanding on

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ

Any idea?