This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Restore/stretch/etc. courses to pair with fundamentals?

Started by Doug Durgee, June 12, 2019 · 3 Replies · 151 Views

Doug Durgee

I'm now on the 2nd week of the Fundamentals course. For background, I'm 39 and have mostly just done HIIT, running on weekends and biking to work to keep in shape. I'm no Gumby, but I can reach my toes in pike and whatnot.

I know most of the animal movements already from playing capoeira back in the day (although my stiff bear is a bit... stiff), but I am definitely enjoying finding all the holes in my mobility/flexibility and don't want to overdo it with too much too fast. I was interested in adding some sort of additional stretching/mobility stuff as I go through Fundamentals as it alone doesn't really feel like enough to me and I don't want to get bored. What would you suggest to start? The Restore series? Stretch series? Something else? And for scheduling, should I keep the 2 break days (or at least one)? My wrists are probably the weakest link to this point so I tried the wrist sequence, but that took a bunch of scaling to get through and still had my forearms sore for a couple days... woof.

Thanks in advance!

Cory Fair

Hi @Doug Durgee,  since you're on the second week of the Intro Plan there are a couple additions you could make:

 

  1. Add Middle Split from the Stretch Series once a week. By time you finish the intro plan, you'll be ready for two hard flexibility workouts per week.
  2. Additional Restore work can be included and won't overtrain you since the intensity is purposely low. Pick the routines that address the holes you find in Fundamentals.
  3. Core work can be included as many days as you like. Getting a head start on this will save you time later. 
  4. Lots of wrist work can be found in the Handstand course, so this could be added to work on scaled versions.

Once you hit week 4, you can either continue or switch to the Level 1 plan.

 

Doug Durgee

Thanks Cory!

Ok, will try adding Middle Split, a couple Restores and Core Sequence for this week. Will also look into Handstand.

Do you suggest sticking with the 2 days off? Or would a non-GB thing on a 6th day be better than 6 days of GB maybe?

Cory Fair

@Doug Durgee Rest days are important for recovery, so I would leave those in your schedule and do something non-GB related on a 6th day.