This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Russian Dip Form Check

Started by Callum Muntz, June 12, 2019 · 6 Replies · 74 Views

Callum Muntz

G'day everyone,

Been working away at these for a little bit, trying to figure them out mainly. Can I ask for some pointers please?

I lower until my elbows touch the bar, but the video on the course seems to show arm-pits - can I confirm if that is correct or not as well?

Thanks in advance

Callum

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Callum, i'm sorry but these are not russian dips, they are far from russian dip which are upper arms dip. if you look carefully to the course video you will see the difference, you are supporting on the forearms while russian dips are supported on the upper arm.

Callum Muntz

I thought so. I gave it a go, lowering until the bar sits in my arm pit (supporting on the upper arm), but really struggled getting forward again to raise up.

Any technique tips to help? 

Alessandro Mainente

Technique comes first. if the technique is bad that means arriving the correct position...there is no way to move back on support. so show your Russian dip attempt from the side and from the front.

Callum Muntz

G'day again Alessandro,

Thanks for your ongoing assistance. I filmed the sets on Monday, and spent a lot of time working on getting my upper arms to the bar (you'll see in the video) - it wasn't pretty, but I 'got there'. Managed 4 sets of 3, and the final set could only do 2.

Any technique assistance in building these? Oh, and I forgot a front view - I'll film this soon.

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Callum, technique before everything:

-from the side appears that when you are in the bottom position the elbows are in front of the shoulder, they should be on the same line;

-from the front (i do not need another video to see this one ;-)  )i know that your shoulders dropped down at elbows level. on the other side, the shoulder should be always higher than the elbows.

now my suggestion is that you need to improve technique so slow down the speed eventually with an elastic band and work on reaching the correct bottom position.

Callum Muntz

Great stuff, thanks mate.

I'll get a band and focus on the lowering aspect.