This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

transitional glenohumeral instability

Started by Joe Meaney, June 6, 2019 · 5 Replies · 79 Views

Joe Meaney

My right shoulder has been sore (anterior) for 10 weeks.  I tried everything I could think of (including, reducing loads, Shoulder Restore) minimal success.  The only thing that helped was not doing any shoulder work at all.  But that is no solution.

So I went to see a PT.  He diagnosed me with "transitional glenohumeral instability."  We spent a lot of time on the diagnosis part, so there wasn't much time left for the treatment plan.  He gave me some exercises to try and (a) strengthen the posterior rotator cuff muscles and (b) strengthen my ability to keep my shoulder retracted and depressed better.  But I don't really understand my best path forward.  I go back in two weeks and might be able to get some better instruction then.

Prior to my shoulder injury, I had been working on thoracic bridge, shoulder dislocates and handstands for a couple of years (no pain whatsoever until the current episode).  But I stopped all of these a month ago when my shoulder started getting bad.  I can't envision attempting things like dislocates and twisting bear at the moment.  

I am thinking of doing the following:

  1. Work on the PT exercises; continue practicing Shoulder Restore
  2. When shoulder feeling stronger, start back at the beginning on handstand (let pain be my guide)
  3. When shoulder feeling stronger, start working back into thoracic bridge routine (again let pain be my guide)

Anyone have any insights on best path out of this mess? 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Joe, a fixing work maybe needs 10-12 weeks before giving decent results. if you do not see improvement probably you need to go deeper in the problem. 

now what was the cause of the problem? at the moment where the problem came out how good was your mobility?

Joe Meaney

Thank you, Alessandro.  I really appreciate your thoughts.

I am not sure what caused the problem.  It came on over a matter of weeks until it affected everything shoulder-wise. 

I did have a raging case of tennis elbow on the same side that peaked just prior to the pain starting (couldn't lift a cup of coffee without close to searing pain).  Not sure if I was compensating for that?  Not sure how the tennis elbow started either.  Tennis elbow has vastly subsided recently.  Almost gone.  

In a case of bad-timing, two weeks after I first noticed shoulder pain, I went surfing for hours on a pre-planned weekend trip to California  (surfing is something I don't do regularly in PHX ;)).  Got decidedly worse after.

My mobility is not great.  And and mobility improvement has been glacially slow.  I don't have a video of my dislocates, but I was at least two or three hands wider on each side than shoulder width.  I suppose I probably over did some dislocates in my desire to advance faster than I was actually advancing.  But nothing too crazy, I don't think.  Never noticed any significant pain.  Have been doing dislocates for at least two years regularly.  No issues other than very slow progression.  Not doing them at the moment.

I was still trying to get mastery on HS/PS1.  I was working on PS2, simultaneously.  Getting close to mastery there, too.

I don't have much recent footage.  But here are some clips that might give some indication of where I was.  

Here is my bridge from February 2019 (right before the problems started - don't have front view) Here is my bridge from March 2018  (side view).  

Also, here is my attempt in Sept 2018 to get a straight line with my upper body on handstands.  I was just curious about how close I could get to 180 degrees.  Not sure if that helps at all.

Unfortunately the only thing I have PS1-wise is where I was in March 2018  (and side facing).  I think I was getting close to mastery when I started hurting in March 2019.

Alessandro Mainente

HI Joe, you can read on your words the source of your problem.

you tried dislocates but you haven't already mastered HS IM1, so why you did dislocates? the first goal of a progression (something that required coach Sommer really a ton of work in order o understand how to properly build it up) is preparing your tissue.

but instead of waiting for the mastery you tried IM2 and also dislocates. now, i do not have any idea about the consequences of these exercises on unprepared shoulders but for sure something happened.

your handstand reflects exactly your limitation and that you have not already reached the IM1.

Unfortunately, i cannot say more than that but forcing the range of motion of the shoulders is never a good idea.

Joe Meaney

Yes.  You make a lot of sense.  Pretty foolish on my part.  

Any insight on my best path forward?  You mention fixing work 10-12 weeks.  

Alessandro Mainente

I cannot say more, i cannot see you, i cannot make test etc. for now trust your PT.