Hi @Alessandro Mainente,
I completed 4x6 of these but 4x9 is proving very difficult. I'm trying 4x7 as an intermediate step and thought I'd post a form check. How do they look?
Thanks,
James
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by James O'Boyle, May 30, 2019 · 12 Replies · 127 Views
Hi @Alessandro Mainente,
I completed 4x6 of these but 4x9 is proving very difficult. I'm trying 4x7 as an intermediate step and thought I'd post a form check. How do they look?
Thanks,
James
They are ok. before moving to 4x7 you can still try 4x9. you do not have the necessity of completing 4x9 at first attempt.
@Alessandro Mainente I tried 4x9 a few times but I was failing halfway through the 2nd set. It seemed like I was way too far off. Even on 4x7 I failed on the 4th rep of the 4th set, then rested 10-15 seconds before finishing the last 3 reps. I'll film a set of 9 so you can see--I think my ROM gets bad towards the end of the set.
Hi James, ok. probably you have weak biceps. inserting some work during a week, something like 4x10-12 reps of dumbell curl can be a good idea.
@Alessandro Mainente Sounds good, will do. Any weight I should shoot for on the curls or just whatever feels good at that rep range? I'm 180lbs/81kg by the way.
I was able to do 4x7 pretty solidly today, going to increase it to 4x8..
Thanks,
James
The reps should be done in a range of 10-12 with a weight that permits to do 15 reps.
@Alessandro Mainente Gotcha.
@Alessandro Mainente Hi Alessandro. I'm still working on these and they are getting (very slowly) better. I have been doing 4x12 bicep curls a couple times per week as you suggested. It just occurred to me to ask--should I use a neutral grip (aka Hammer Curl) with the bicep curls to mimic the movement of the row, or should I use a traditional bicep curl with supination?
Thanks,
James
Nope, full rotation begins from prone and finish on palm up grip.
@Alessandro Mainente Got it, thanks!
Hi coaches,
I've hit a sticking point on this progression.
I've been using an intermediate variation where I have the rings at hip height but my feet are under the rings support. This has helped me build up some endurance--I've been working towards 4x15 using this variation.
I've been training upper body once per week (I'll be 38 next month and I find that recovery and joints are better with only one session per week). My last 4 sessions look like this:
15, 15, 9, 7
15, 15, 10, 7
15, 15, 11, 7
15, 15, 11, 7
On the 3rd set I've been resting 15sec after failure and finishing the full set of 15.
Any advice on how to break through the this plateau?
Sidenote: I usually climb (mostly bouldering) twice per week on top of GB, but my climbing gym is closed during quarantine so I haven't had that additional work in the last few months.
Thanks,
James
20 hours ago, James O'Boyle said:Hi coaches,
I've hit a sticking point on this progression.
I've been using an intermediate variation where I have the rings at hip height but my feet are under the rings support. This has helped me build up some endurance--I've been working towards 4x15 using this variation.
I've been training upper body once per week (I'll be 38 next month and I find that recovery and joints are better with only one session per week). My last 4 sessions look like this:
15, 15, 9, 7
15, 15, 10, 7
15, 15, 11, 7
15, 15, 11, 7
On the 3rd set I've been resting 15sec after failure and finishing the full set of 15.
Any advice on how to break through the this plateau?
Sidenote: I usually climb (mostly bouldering) twice per week on top of GB, but my climbing gym is closed during quarantine so I haven't had that additional work in the last few months.
Thanks,
James
Hey James, try for 2 weeks to work twice a week BUT in the first training try to complete the normal workout (trying to fill the remaining sets) and the other day perform the same set but reducing every set of the first day of 3 reps.
Awesome, I'll try that. Thanks!