This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Anyone used a 'rotating' schedule?

Started by Mark Birbeck, May 29, 2019 · 2 Replies · 167 Views

Mark Birbeck

Hello all,

I've been wondering for a while now whether I would be better off with a sort of 'cycling' schedule rather than fixed days. (If there is a proper name for this approach then apologies.)

What I mean is, instead of doing something like:

  Mon: FS
  Tue: TB
  Wed: Core
  .
  .

  .

and so on, I'd instead just say 'my next workout is FS', and then once that is done, 'my next workout is TB'.

I'm saying this because I'm lucky enough to be working at home, so *most* days it's easy to block out time to train. But of course, sometimes things come up and I miss a day. It struck me that rather than 'losing' that workout until the next week, I could just push it to the next day and then continue as if nothing had happened. It would require coming up with a sequence where each workout is roughly the same length, but I think that's feasible.

But before I do that, I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has tried this, whether there are any problems that might arise, or even the other way round--whether there are any little tricks that might make it easier to manage if I went this route.

All the best,

Mark

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Mark, you can of course. but remember that in some cases in order to progress you need an "at least" schedule. i mean that if you are weak on pushing strength you should search a schedule that permits to do shoulder strength work twice a week. until that you can for sure cycle.

Mark Birbeck

Hi Alessandro,

Yes, that's a good point--thanks for throwing it in.

I've been thinking about it a bit more, and I realise that all I'm doing is creating a moving window of 7 days--so I think the arrangement could still cope with what you suggest.

I might have a training sequence like this (now with 2 UB sessions, 3 sessions apart):

  1: FS
  2: UB
  3: Core
  4: HS
  5: UB
  6: TB

And so on.

Then in action it might work like this:

  Monday: FS
  Tuesday: Unexpected work meeting... :)
  Wednesday: UB
  Thursday: Core
  Friday: Kung fu class was extra intense last night...take a rest...
  Saturday: HS
  Sunday: UB
  Monday: TB
  Tuesday: FS
  ...etc.

So I still get the 2 UB sessions within the 7-day 'window', it just happens that they don't always fall on the same day each week.

I'm going to give it a try, and will report back!