This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pain in the trap

Started by Felipe Garcia Rosa, May 28, 2019 · 4 Replies · 69 Views

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hi coaches,

I have been doing longer holds of wall handstands and more days a week, and some times I feel a pain in the upper left trap muscle (see picture where my fingers are pointing), mainly when I elevate and activate the traps.

The pain feels like someone squeezing a skin grain but I have no grains there. And it goes away as the session goes on and I feel no pain at all afterwards during the day when I am not training.

Is it normal? Maybe the trap cathing up on my longer holds?

Thanks!

Felipe

E7DA67D4-F932-4F21-BE7E-A64C7ACD3183.jpeg

Alessandro Mainente

HI Felipe, some questions before answering:

-how many times have you trained hs in a week before starting having pain?

-when did you start training handstand?

-what is your level now? 

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hi Alex,

I was doing once a week and now 3. I started 3 years ago HS1 and got to shoulder taps and now 60s wall HS.

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, Felipe Garcia Rosa said:

Hi Alex,

I was doing once a week and now 3. I started 3 years ago HS1 and got to shoulder taps and now 60s wall HS.

For sure the frequency is too much.

when pain happens it is a symptom of functional overload of muscles. probably it is your levator scapulae. the bridge course has some good stretches for this. but i'm pretty sure that you only need rest.

I'm referring to TBS exercise number 9. perform the with both hands closer to the hips and hands overhead.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Thanks Alex! Will reduce frequency, I have been doing TBS SE9 after each session with hands like in the video, will now try shifting hands overhead and closer to hips.