This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Fingertip pushups plateu

Started by Marko Sekulic, May 2, 2019 · 11 Replies · 168 Views

Marko Sekulic

Hey @Alessandro Mainente,

I have reached plateu with this exercise/progression, and I am stuck on it for quite some time.

I am at kneeling mastery sets for months now, and I can do it no problem, easily. But I cant do a single repetition of next progression, real fingertip pushups. Also, I finished the rest 3 tipe of wrist prep...all mastered, done with no problem. I tried to add weight to this progression, so I did +10kg kneeling fingertip pushups 5x5, for a couple of months, and still nothing...no progress at all.

Can you give me some advice?..or some hope. :D 

 

Mark Schoenhard

Fingertip plank holds were a help. Usually tried for sets of 10 seconds.

Marko Sekulic

Thanks man! I will definitely try it.

Giulio Pizzini

I'm exactly in the same spot as you Marko, will try the planks as well

Marko Sekulic

Yap, let see how this goes.

It is definitely big jump in intensity between these two progressions...at least for some of us.

Mark Birbeck

I found that the angle your arms are at can make a *big* difference. Moving my hands even just an inch or two closer to my body (in the kneeling position) made the exercise hard again! So I've been doing that--get up to 5x5r, then move my hands a little closer, then wince and think 'damn, I need to lose some weight'...and repeat.

The planks sound like a good idea as well, though. I'll try those too.

James O'Boyle

I'm having the same issue but my plateau is with the fingertip push ups on the wall--I've been doing them very slowly to increase the difficulty, and 5x5 is still doable.  But when I attempt one in the kneeling position I fail hard.  How did you all transition from the wall to kneeling?  Has anyone else had any trouble with that transition?

Thanks,

James

Marko Sekulic
4 hours ago, Mark Birbeck said:

I found that the angle your arms are at can make a *big* difference. Moving my hands even just an inch or two closer to my body (in the kneeling position) made the exercise hard again! So I've been doing that--get up to 5x5r, then move my hands a little closer, then wince and think 'damn, I need to lose some weight'...and repeat.

The planks sound like a good idea as well, though. I'll try those too.

Yes, you are right. When hands are closer to the hips you are pressing more of you bodyweight...and it is harder. 

Marko Sekulic
1 hour ago, James O'Boyle said:

I'm having the same issue but my plateau is with the fingertip push ups on the wall--I've been doing them very slowly to increase the difficulty, and 5x5 is still doable.  But when I attempt one in the kneeling position I fail hard.  How did you all transition from the wall to kneeling?  Has anyone else had any trouble with that transition?

Thanks,

James

I didn't have problem to transfer to kneeling progression, but some best, most commonly used methods for breaking a plateau (in my opinion) is using slow tempo on the eccentric part of the progression that you cant do a concentric part, using isometric holds in the top or the bottom (or the middle part) of the movement of the same progression and using weighted easier progression to build more strength that way. Try something for some time and seeeffort if it works.

James O'Boyle

@Marko Sekulic Thanks for the suggestions--I'll try isometric holds later today and see how they go.  

Marko Sekulic

Hey @Alessandro Mainente,

I have one problem and question...

I injured my right wrist on pommel horse (extensor digiti minimi I think, tendon) back I February and still hurts...not only on pommel but on some exercises wich I do in my conditioning. 

So how do you strengthen/ prepare wrist for pommel horse? 

I must do complete exercise in my faculty, on gymnastic classes, so I have to overcome this.

I did everything, cooling, heating, mix of them...nothing helped.

Alessandro Mainente

well i think that your teacher will understand. injury at the wrists usually mean cartilage problem and here there is nothing to do.

your problem at the wrist has its own origin and causes. in practice, i cannot tell you what you can do for your injury because i do not know anything about it.