This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL PE1 + iM

Started by James O'Boyle, April 26, 2019 · 10 Replies · 61 Views

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente @Everett Carroll

Hi again,

My ROM on the Russian Twists is super restricted due to my fusion.  I gave a glance at the progressions in the SL series and I'm not sure if these are going to be possible for me.  Any thoughts on this?  Any scaling that can be done?  I would like to develop my obliques but as you can see I'm very restricted here.

Thanks,

James

 

 

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey James so not worry. I would like to hear a PT opinion about the possible ROM of your spine on twisting movement. if the tension of the scar tissues is holding some degree then they can be released a bit.

James O'Boyle

I've worked with a lot of PTs (for my entire life, and as recently as last year) but I've never been able to increase the twisting ROM beyond this.  Rotation basically all comes from the lumbar and cervical spine.  My surgery was 20 years ago, FYI!

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey James,

Thanks for keeping us posted! You can make this progression slightly more intense, even with your restricted ROM, by increasing your lean backwards a little bit (only a few degrees) and keeping your knees together throughout your set. If you can, you can also add a small pause at your max ROM on each rep to increase the demand on your obliques. There's no need to go overboard. A 1 second pause should change things quite a bit.

James O'Boyle

@Jeffrey Bittner Sounds good, I'll give that a shot and post an updated video for you all.  Thanks!

James O'Boyle

@Jeffrey Bittner @Alessandro Mainente  Increased the lean and slowed it down, focused on keeping my knees together.  How is this?

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

Hey James try to push a bit more when you twist to the right so that the movement is "at least" symmetrical.

James O'Boyle

 @Alessandro Mainente  I see what you mean, my mobility is definitely better to the left side.  I'll work on this.

Thanks!,

James

 

James O'Boyle

Hi @Alessandro Mainente,

I'm on the last step of this PE and I believe I've improved my form and my ROM a bit.  How does it look?

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

It is not bad considering the limitation. now it is also symmetrical.

I suggest you to look always for symmetrical work, no matter the limitation on the spine. symmetrical but limited is better.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Phew!  Thank you.