This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Standing Pike and Hurdler Block - Bad for your lower back?

Started by Önay Jakobov, April 26, 2019 · 3 Replies · 131 Views

Önay Jakobov

Hi

I've been doing the stretch series for couple of years and I really like them.

Couple of days ago I came across this video "3 Ways You Should NEVER EVER Stretch Your Hamstrings".
In the video they highlight Standing Pike and Hurdler Block (which is part of the Front Split series) as bad stretches that can put a lot of stress on the lower back. This got me confused. Is there  any justification behind those claims?

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Alessandro Mainente

In case of very very very strong limitation of the posterior leg chain probably the forward bend can increase the stress on the posterior upper body muscles chain. this is not a universal fact, it depends on subject to subjects. if a person has a straight lower back he/she will never talk about lower back stress.

Coach Sommer
On 4/26/2019 at 4:44 AM, Önay Jakobov said:

Hi

I've been doing the stretch series for couple of years and I really like them.

Couple of days ago I came across this video "3 Ways You Should NEVER EVER Stretch Your Hamstrings".
In the video they highlight Standing Pike and Hurdler Block (which is part of the Front Split series) as bad stretches that can put a lot of stress on the lower back. This got me confused. Is there  any justification behind those claims?

 

Thanks in advance.

 

For someone to post that as a general recommendation is ridiculous.

Never accept advice from idiots.  Always vet your sources of information.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Önay Jakobov
On 4/27/2019 at 3:27 PM, Coach Sommer said:

For someone to post that as a general recommendation is ridiculous.

Never accept advice from idiots.  Always vet your sources of information.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks for your answer Coach. I appreciate it.

Regards,

Jakobov