This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP PE2 + IM

Started by James O'Boyle, April 25, 2019 · 15 Replies · 278 Views

James O'Boyle

Hi again @Alessandro Mainente @Everett Carroll,

Just started HBP PE2 and I want to make sure my form is on point with these.  These are extra sets I did when I got home after my session earlier--

 

Push Up:

Xiaopeng Forward:

 

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

Hey James, the major corrections regards your PE:

-at the top a good protraction should be shown, this means thinking about pushing yourself off from the floor;

-do not pike. there is a bit of angle between the upper body and legs. you should be straight from shoulders to heels.

James O'Boyle

Got it.  I'll adjust and post again soon.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Here's another attempt.  Please note, because my spine is fused L3-T1 (including my entire thoracic spine) you won't see the visible rounding of the upper back that usually comes with scapular protraction.  I've demonstrated a couple shrugs in the beginning of the video so you can see that I understand the scapular movement.  How did I do in terms of the pike?

 

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

HI James, considering the corrections and your case now the movement it is fine.

 

James O'Boyle

Thank you, sir!

 

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente Hi Alessandro!  I'm stuck on 4x15 for HBP PE2 and I thought I'd post another form check.  I can do 4x15 with an additional 10-15sec of rest before the 3rd & 4th set, and now I'm working on doing them without the rest.  How do these look?

Thanks,

James

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi James, rather than rest in between the set you can rest in the same set and complete the remaining reps.

for example if you do 15 15 12 10  9.

we are going to work only on the 3d set while doing the same reps on 4th and 5th (no matter how easy they are).

so you will do:

set1 15 reps

set2 15 reps

set3 12 reps, rest 15 seconds and perform the last 3 reps

set4 10 reps

set5 9 reps.

on the next training workout you need to reduce the rest before performing the last 3 reps (if you need it...maybe not).

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Got it!  I'll give this a shot.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente Thanks for the tip, it worked!  After a couple more sessions I was finally able to do 4x15.  Now for the 5th set...

James O'Boyle

Hi coaches,

Kinda crazy but a year later and I'm still working on this progression (I had a wrist injury at one point that took some time to recover from).  I've been training upper body once per week (I'll be 38 next month and my recovery and joints seem better with one session per week).  I recently added a 5th set to try and break the plateau--my last few sessions look like this:

15, 15, 15, 10, 6

15, 15, 15, 12, 7

15, 15, 15, 13, 8

I've been resting 15sec after failure on the 4th set and finishing the set of 15.

I'm definitely progressing but it has been slow.

Any advice on how to improve on this one?

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

If you progress...is still progress....i remember when i was doing in 2014 the 5x5 of hollowback press. i was doing 5x3...need to pass to 4x4....i needed 8 months...

James O'Boyle

Hi coaches,

I'm still working on this one.  Earlier this year I scaled it way back and I just built back up to 4x15.  Today I did 15, 15, 12, 12.

Here is the last set.  How does it look?

Thanks,

James

Jeffrey Bittner

Awesome work! Remember to keep your head in a neutral position during your set.

James O'Boyle

@Jeffrey Bittner  Thanks!  Should my head position be adjusted so that my eyes are looking at a spot on the floor closer to my hands?

Jeffrey Bittner

Yes, I recommend just looking straight down at the floor.