This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Forward extension roll avoid pike

Started by Eloy Bote, April 24, 2019 · 5 Replies · 45 Views

Eloy Bote

Hi!

Any tip to avoid pike on the hips while doing forward extension roll? I see in the video that you must have a hollow shape with super rounded back to do it smoothly, but for some reason I pike the hips. Maybe it's related too but I end up landing on my mid back instead of the upper back.

Alessandro Mainente

The "avoid strategy" is trying to pull the feet to the ceiling with the goal of extending the hips with the glutes. the activation is similar to the full layout body lever on front lever progression.

Eloy Bote
10 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The "avoid strategy" is trying to pull the feet to the ceiling with the goal of extending the hips with the glutes. the activation is similar to the full layout body lever on front lever progression.

Do you mean FL/PE10 body lever? I'm not that far in that course but I do those body levers as a warm up. I'm going to think about that when doing the rolls, but in the video the shape is more rounded, like way more rounded, 

Regarding the landing, should I land like in a candlestick position? I do candlestick rolls too but I'm not used to landing on my back after flips, just round off rebound to candlestick.

Alessandro Mainente

Of is the same that you have to use in the straddle hollow body rock or in the full payout hollow body rock. the correct amount of hip flexion and hips extension maintains the feet in the same position compared to the hip. And yes, the candlestick is the arriving position. what you "are not used to" it is something you have to lear....it is not normal felling it uncomfortable.

Eloy Bote

Just a little update, I can keep the arms straight wich is cool, but still my hips are piked.

I know it's very bad form because I'm on the air track and I'm bouncing on my back... maybe should I tuck my chin to round my upper back?

Sorry for the little kid in the video, he appeared from nowhere.

Alessandro Mainente

THink about pushing the hips to the from just before beginning to drive the heels in the air.