This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bend Hollow Body Hold Progression

Started by Ben Clark, April 22, 2019 · 12 Replies · 182 Views

Ben Clark

Hello,

So I am unable to get my lower back on the ground when attempting the Bent Hollow Body Hold. This keeps me from completing the first step. However, the first step is not extremely taxing, I just don't have the mobility. I found GMB's recommends starting with your hips at a 90-degree angle if a 45-degree angle is not yet possible (see video below). My questions are:

  1. Do you think this is good advice?
  2. Should I work on this 90-degree version until I can do 5x60s and then attempt the 45-degree version? Or start on the 45-degree versions as soon as I can properly perform step 1?

Thank you!

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Ben, well, If the tightness in your spine it so damn strong you will never be able to solve with the above video suggestion.

now rather than judging other suggestion, i would like to see your form FIRST.

the forum exists because more experts coaches can help you individually in order to find solutions. use the forum. there are people here practicing and studying the GB material for at least (I talk for me) for 10 years.

Ben Clark

Hi Alessandro, thanks for your help. Here is a link to my form check for these Bent Hollow Body Holds.

Alessandro Mainente

hey Ben, i'm curious to ask you one question: perform the exercise below:

-begin from the floor like in the pic

-grab the knees as shown

-pull the knees in the opposite direction.

this will lead the torso to rise from the floor and the spine to flex.

post a video, i must see how your surgery affects the spine flexion.

Ben Clark

Below is the exercise as requested. Thanks for your help.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Depress more the scapulae and.....your middle back does not flex, i suggest you inserting this exercise on a daily basis. also, push the knees further away from you. now i would like to see the execution of BHB hold.

Ben Clark

The video below starts with the same exercise as before but with my scapulae depressed, some cat-cows, and then my BHB hold attempt. Right now I don't think my knees can go any further due to the length of my arms.

Just to clarify, you recommend performing the exercise were I hold onto my knees every day? Do you recommend following the same progression as BHB holds (i.e. 3x12s - 5x60s)?

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Ben, in my opinion as you increase the hips extension the lower back raises. this is due to tight hips flexor. are you following the GB front split course?

Ben Clark

Okay, that makes sense as my hips have always been tight. Yes I am following the front split course

James O'Boyle

@Ben Clark  Hi Ben,

Just out of curiosity, what levels are you fused?  I ask because I have a pretty lengthy fusion myself, L3-T1.

Thanks,

James

Ben Clark

Hello @James O'Boyle,

Yours is pretty long. Mine is L3-T5, just a little less but still 13 inches

Ben Clark

Hi @Alessandro Mainente, sorry for all these questions, but did you see this?

On 4/30/2019 at 12:51 PM, Ben Clark said:

Just to clarify, you recommend performing the exercise were I hold onto my knees every day? Do you recommend following the same progression as BHB holds (i.e. 3x12s - 5x60s)?

Or is it a simple, single static hold added to my warmup? Thanks

Alessandro Mainente

HI Ben, nope, is a stretching exercise.