This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE1 iM

Started by Viktor Lunetta, April 20, 2019 · 4 Replies · 47 Views

Viktor Lunetta

Hi,
I kind of thought I had reached the required form, until I studied the course video closer. The athlete in the video is able to reach past a 180 degree position between the upper body and the arms, where the hands are clearly behind the head. In the video below, I am not able to reach clearly behind my head. What do you think of the current ROM? 
 

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Viktor, not so bad as you think. 

Now, the goal is the 180°, NO MATTER THE WEIGTH OR THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE HANDS.

this means that the range of motion comes first. so:

first: reduce the weigth to a minimum of 1 kg;

second: increase the distance between the hands.

adjust the previous points until you can reach 180° of shoulder flexion then:

1) reduce the grip until you can reach shoulder distance without losing the 180° of shoulder flexion;

2)once you can hold it for 10'' INCREASE THE WEIGTH and first a new hands distance where you can perform a 180° shoulder flexion;

3)return to point 1.

Viktor Lunetta

Thanks for the additional progression tips. In the video above, I am using 2.5kg and hands are approximately shoulder width apart. Two questions:

1. Where am I still falling short what comes to mastery?
2. When the courses say that a move should use a weighted bar, what is the weight that I should build towards before moving to the next move? Is 2.5kg additional weight enough?

Alessandro Mainente

HI Viktor, the range of motion you are showing is ok. Coach SOmmer suggests beginning with 1 kg bar then build up to 10% of you BW.

Viktor Lunetta

Thanks a lot @Alessandro Mainente!