This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Swivel hips - position of feet

Started by Dan Schreter, April 13, 2019 · 1 Replies · 107 Views

Dan Schreter

What is the required position of the feet relative to the body in swivel hips? In other words, where on the floor should the heels be relative to the butt? I have not seen any reference to this point, and would appreciate feedback as I noticed it makes a big difference.

I'm referring to two points that determine the answer to this question:

1. Angle between the legs. I noticed that the larger the angle (meaning the wider the straddle), the lower the knee gets in the movement.

2. The distance between the heel and the butt, or the extent to which the the knee is folded. I noticed that the closer the heel to the body, equivalent to a smaller angle in the knee \ knee higher up in the starting position, the lower the knee gets in the movement.

I've been practicing swivel hips for a long time, during which mobility improved on both these points, allowing me to use a wider straddle and bring the feet closer to the body. If I do that to the full extent possible, I can easily get the knees to the floor. However, if the starting position is the one I used with my initial mobility, I still can't get the knees to the floor, though I made significant progress. Hence the question - what's the position for which I should measure to determine if my mobility is sufficient? Thanks.

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Dan,

Place your feet just outside of hip width and keep a 90-degree knee angle. Feel free to send us a video/photos of your current position and ROM.