This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Strict Ring Muscle-Up / L-Sit position

Started by Francois-Joseph Tirgari, April 6, 2019 · 4 Replies · 265 Views

Francois-Joseph Tirgari

Hello guy,

 

Followed the courses and programs for 1 and an half year now. Never followed the rings course, but trained for the strict ring muscle-up sometimes.

Can you give advice and notes to improve my muscle-up (strength and flexibility) ?

The concentric phase is deliberately slow, but still have not enough strength to slow down in eccentric phase. How can I reinforce my strength in eccentric phase ? By practicing more ?

 

Francois-Joseph

Everett Carroll

Hey Francois-Joseph,

The Rings One exercises build to a proper eccentric (negative) muscle-up in a safe order of progression. That said, the completion of Foundations 1-4 is the prerequisite for starting Rings One so I suggest you work on those progressions for now.

Playing with ring work now and then is one thing but you risk injury training on rings without the proper base. From what I can see here, your muscle-up would benefit from a focus on wrist and shoulder extension mobility. You have the strength already. 

Alessandro Mainente

I would ask you if you are intentionally bending the elbows or is a situation due to rings height?

Francois-Joseph Tirgari

@Alessandro Mainente,

 

In the starting position, I bent the elbows because of the rings' height.

I should have setted up the rings higher.

Well I train in a crossfit box, follow weightlifting courses. And you must know my days are overloaded. Sometimes we rush to finish all the exercices (including gymnasticbody courses too) and go home for eating and sleeping :).

 

Days are short.

Matthew Walker

From personal experience:

I trained rings for a while and was doing muscle ups (without proper preparation). I ended up getting chronic golfer's elbow and and wrist tendonitis. It's been almost 6 months and will probably be 3 more until I can even start putting my full bodyweight on my wrists again. In hindsight I would have been better off spending that 9 months doing the proper prep work instead of being injured. It's all fun and games until you can't even cook for yourself or carry groceries.