This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FL/PE1

Started by Ben Clark, March 25, 2019 · 1 Replies · 58 Views

Ben Clark

Hello, below is a video of my Bent Hollow Body Hold (FL/PE1) step 3.

I suspect my back is not as rounded as it should be. However, due to scoliosis surgery 5 years ago, I have a 13-inch rod in my back that restricts movement. My hips and shoulders move but the mid-back does not; you can see this during my Cat-Cow. I feel that my last rep is as good as my first and I could do more.

Questions:

    My lower back barely touches the ground, is that an issue?

    Should I move to the next step with this imperfect form, or is there something else I should be focusing on?

Thanks!

 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Ben,

Yours is a unique case. While I'm not familiar with the exact restrictions the rod in your back might cause, I don't believe it's reasonable to expect you to be able to do some exercises in your courses perfectly. Other exercises, like Jefferson Curls, might not be suitable for you at all. The standard on all ground hollow body work is to get the entire spine in contact with the floor throughout each set. While you won't be able to achieve the full amount of hollow demonstrated in the course videos, you should do your best to press your spine completely into the ground during your holds. As far as your Cat Cow goes, focus on maximizing the posterior and anterior tilt of your pelvis to the the best of your ability. Also focus on maximizing your range of motion on the flexion and extension of your cervical spine.