Reverse flys - internal rotation

Started by Victor Mouclier, March 13, 2019 · 4 Replies · 5,883 Views

Victor Mouclier

Hi everybody !

I'm  performing reverse flys with internally rotated shoulders (straight arm, pronated grip), no pain at all.

But i'm wondering if it could be bad for infraspinatus ?

I read that reaching forward motions with internal rotation make the infraspinatus rub against the acromion wich can lead to tears overtime.

What do you think ?

reverse-machine-fly.jpg

Alessandro Mainente

Under the shoulder height the risk is less. considering the photo, you should use the vertical grip.

Mouclier Victor

Thank you ! 

I will perform them  with vertical grip.

Do you have other recommandation to properly train the rear delts with weight or BW ?

I tried to emulate  victorian raises with dumbell sbut i don't know what proper form should be....

 

Everett Carroll

You can do flys like this with a resistance band or with your back against the wall (use your arms to press your hips forward off the wall). Like Alex said, hands at or just below shoulder height is best. 

You can see some banded victorian work in the band series ring prep video and the rings 1 progressions in the course library (both are part of the subscription plan). The same cues apply using DBs for victorian raises in the prone position. 

Alessandro Mainente

Also, notice that the external rotation comes from the upper arm. so if you have a good active external rotation you can still perform the exercise with the horizontal grip.