This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Front Splits - Calves and Ankles are limiting factors

Started by Miguel Perez, March 10, 2019 · 3 Replies · 137 Views

Miguel Perez

Hi guys,

I have done the stretch programs on and off for a few years now. When I stretch, I always prioritize front splits first as I know it makes my back feel great, as jiu-jitsu tends to have the opposite effect. I have made great progress, far less cramping and fantastic Range of Motion increases, but notice a consistent limiting factor that I did not expect. As I go through the 45 minutes, my calves and ankles are consistently tight. The final full split on the wall is typically quite difficult, but mostly for my calves and only partially for my hamstrings. Incorporating the ankle work, from the beginning, for less time (a minute instead of two) a few times a week helped quite a lot but I am still running into this road block. Should I be able to sort this out, I feel like I could finally go into a full split. Are there any protocols you all recommend, more than the weekly front split session, specifically to focus on the ankles and calves? 

Thanks in advance,

Miguel

Alessandro Mainente

HI MIguel, probably in your case, years of tight ankles lead to this situation. Using the beginning ankles exercise more often is an option.

Personally, i'm not optimistic with ankles limitations. i've never had improvements in 10 years. some of my clients on the other side have. 

You can consider inserting one day a week more only for 2-3 ankles exercises.

Miguel Perez

Hi Alessandro,

They definitely have been most of my life. I'll continue to be patient and add one day and see how things go. I scaled down the time before to one minute, but would you recommend the same 2-minute increments from the Front Splits series? 

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Miguel,

A minute sounds great if that's what works for you. If you have time to do two minutes or longer, go for it, but one-minute holds are better than no-minute holds :)