This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder pain during pullups

Started by Marko Sekulic, March 8, 2019 · 9 Replies · 209 Views

Marko Sekulic

Hey @Alessandro Mainente,

I am freaking out a little bit right now...today during my gymnastic class on my faculty I tried just normal, basic pullup on high bar, and I experienced pain in my right shoulder, front delt or something else located there. I did proper warm up like always, and this was in the middle of the class so I was pretty warmed up...I have never before experienced shoulder pain during pullups. I tried later during the day, twice, just few reps to see is pain still there, and it is. I am even more disturbed because, one my friend have same pain in the shoulders during pullups, and his shoulders are completely f*** up...he needs to go on surgery (that bad). You asked me before what did I changed in my training, so...last 2 weeks I practice handstand daily, on wall, chasing endurance, strength and trying to find balance, also I am stretching my shoulders daily, before handstands, short, just to open up shoulders a little bit. I know that handstands are pressing skill (front delt, triceps), so I am maybe risking to create shoulder imbalances, which I am trying to compensate with higher volume of rings rows once per week, and scapula retraction exercise. Is this a problem, shoulder imbalance? Or maybe just overuse of muscles? I was wandered how professional handbalancers keep their shoulders healthy, but now I realized that most of them had severe injuries in their careers.

Please some advice/help.

Marko Sekulic

Pronated pull ups hurts...supinated pull up (chin up) don't hurt at all...

Pain is in the largest portion in eccentric phase of the movement.

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Marko i'm sorry to hear about your problem. remember that in 100% of the cases it is not the last exercise done that is the problem. the problem is still there for many weeks, the body compensated and now....now compensation is no longer possible and pullup is the first exercise where you are experiencing this. nothing more.

now, there is a pain so this forum is not the correct place to find a solution or a suggestion.

evaluating problems include:

-posture evaluation;

-asymmetrical posture evaluation;

-then length test evaluation of muscles;

-palpation test.

how can a forum member do this?

Marko Sekulic

I understand @Alessandro Mainente...thank you anyway. I will try to figure it out by myself, maybe it's weakness of internal rotators, and/or tightness...both are bad in my case. 

Coach Sommer
On 3/8/2019 at 7:33 AM, Marko Sekulic said:

... last 2 weeks I practice handstand daily, on wall ... chasing endurance, strength and trying to find balance ... also I am stretching my shoulders daily ... I am trying to compensate with higher volume of rings rows once per week and scapula retraction exercise ...

Of course your shoulders are sore.  You are overtraining - alot.

Why in the world are you training handstands everyday?  How often were you training handstands prior to this past two week period?

Why are you stretching your shoulders everyday?  How often were you stretching your shoulders prior to this past two week period?

Progressive overload with measured, patient increases in training load and volume works very well.  Massive unplanned increases in intensity, volume and number of training days always lead to injuries.  Elite training works for elite athletes who have prepared their bodies for such training loads over a period of years.  Beginning training works for beginners who are just starting their training journeys.

Effective training begins by honestly acknowledging what your current physical status is and then training appropriately.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Marko Sekulic

Hi @Coach Sommer, :)

14 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

Why in the world are you training handstands everyday?  How often were you training handstands prior to this past two week period?

Well, I pick up that from Dave Durante, he said many times that flexibility&moblity, core strength, and handstand work should be done daily. By handstand work he ment (wrist strength/mobility, shoulder mobility, strength, aligment and balance drills against the wall, and probaly even more stuff), so that is exactly what I have been doing...I was overstated that a little bit, I did wall holds maybe 4-6 days a week, rest of the days were shoulder and wrist mobility. Answer to the second question is: 0. I did 1-2 times a week handstand 1 course, but I didnt do any handstand against the wall in my life before that.

24 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

Why are you stretching your shoulders everyday?  How often were you stretching your shoulders prior to this past two week period?

Well, I was frustrated a little bit about my slow proggress on H1 iM5 shoulder dislocations, so I was thinking to boost that up with additional stretching. What I mean by that, is just short, before training stretching to loosen up my shoulders for the work. But I did that every day...before that, only 2-3 times a week, longer holds, after my core and upper body sessions + Thoracic bridge series once a week.

Thank you Coach so much... I written down all your quotes, but every time I read something from you, It always has a new meaning for me with another message...if that makes sense. :D

I dont defend myself, just saying, but I am not exhausted at all with my training...I train 20-25 hours per week (but all together: flexibility, mobility, strength), + my trainings at my faculty (I am 1st year at Faculty of sport and physical education...future coach :D). My work capacity is really insane compared to 1 year ago, when I found GB. Thanks to You again, of course.

All the best,

Marko

Eloy Bote
4 hours ago, Marko Sekulic said:

Hi @Coach Sommer, :)

Well, I pick up that from Dave Durante, he said many times that flexibility&moblity, core strength, and handstand work should be done daily. By handstand work he ment (wrist strength/mobility, shoulder mobility, strength, aligment and balance drills against the wall, and probaly even more stuff), so that is exactly what I have been doing...I was overstated that a little bit, I did wall holds maybe 4-6 days a week, rest of the days were shoulder and wrist mobility. Answer to the second question is: 0. I did 1-2 times a week handstand 1 course, but I didnt do any handstand against the wall in my life before that.

Well, I was frustrated a little bit about my slow proggress on H1 iM5 shoulder dislocations, so I was thinking to boost that up with additional stretching. What I mean by that, is just short, before training stretching to loosen up my shoulders for the work. But I did that every day...before that, only 2-3 times a week, longer holds, after my core and upper body sessions + Thoracic bridge series once a week.

Thank you Coach so much... I written down all your quotes, but every time I read something from you, It always has a new meaning for me with another message...if that makes sense. :D

I dont defend myself, just saying, but I am not exhausted at all with my training...I train 20-25 hours per week (but all together: flexibility, mobility, strength), + my trainings at my faculty (I am 1st year at Faculty of sport and physical education...future coach :D). My work capacity is really insane compared to 1 year ago, when I found GB. Thanks to You again, of course.

All the best,

Marko

Dave Durante was an elite gymnast, he was in the olympics, so I think that the training load he is used to is huge. I trained myself the handstand almost everyday for a long time and what I've achieved is good balance... but with bad form :( and what I do now is just a couple of free handstand in the week to see if my form goes better, but the real work comes with the HS course wich gives the mobility and self awareness of the  good position of the body.

Marko Sekulic

I know that, but his volume and my are two different worlds. All I did is few sets with very small time on the hands. I am maybe a little bit impatient, but I am not a fool to try to replicate elite athletes. I just look at what they are doing and adjust it according to my level. I know that handstand courses are the right way to do this but I experienced amazing benefits from this holds and that is the main reason I continued to do them...my elbows got a lot stronger that before, can take a lot more then before, straight arm strength, shoulder and trap size and strength also increased incredibly, scapula strength and stability, etc. There is definitely something special in handstands.

Coach Sommer
17 hours ago, Marko Sekulic said:

I know that, but his volume and my are two different worlds. All I did is few sets with very small time on the hands. I am maybe a little bit impatient, but I am not a fool to try to replicate elite athletes. I just look at what they are doing and adjust it according to my level. I know that handstand courses are the right way to do this but I experienced amazing benefits from this holds and that is the main reason I continued to do them...my elbows got a lot stronger that before, can take a lot more then before, straight arm strength, shoulder and trap size and strength also increased incredibly, scapula strength and stability, etc. There is definitely something special in handstands.

Marko,

You received minimal physiological adaptations from two weeks of training.

The over training issues speak for themselves.  Whether or not you like what they say is inconsequential.

You can either adjust your training volume downward accordingly and begin to heal.  Or you can remain in denial and your injuries will continue to worsen.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Marko Sekulic

Yap, I understood that from Your previous message. I have already stopped doing handstands and start taking care of my shoulders with some healing therapy. I can be stubborn sometimes...sorry about that. :)

Thanks again Coach,

Stay well.