This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Excessive lateral patellar compression syndrome

Started by Luke Barker, February 26, 2019 · 2 Replies · 45 Views

Luke Barker

Hi,

Was hoping for some guidance from one of the coaches on this...I battle excessive lateral patellar compression in my left knee (similar to runner's knee) that is mostly due to inadequate quadricep strength on that side.  I know multiple things contribute to this condition (like mobility deficits in areas) and I have those, but it seems to be mostly caused by weakness in the quad.  I am addressing the strength deficits with some things prescribed by my PT.  My question is whether the coaches would have any particular recommendations or considerations regarding my use of the front split series.  Issues coming to mind that I am curious about would be: 1) timing of the stretch series; 2) how often (i.e. stick with the once per week?); 3) any concerns about the intensity of the stretches in working against the strength building I need?  

I have noticed that the day after performing the front split series, I tend to be more at risk for inflammation in the knee - which is why I am asking about this.  I have greatly reduced any running volume to almost non-existent so that I can really address the issue.  The injury at this point is not debilitating and unmanageable - but it does limit running and it needs to be fixed.   I'm hesitant to reduce stretching work as I want to also address hamstring and quad mobility.    Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance. 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Luke, managing injury should be done with your PT. searching for a personal suggestion on the web it is not free of risk. bad suggestion can make the injury worse. unfortunately, also if I am a forum Coach I cannot prescribe programs or give suggestion in case of injury. it is out of my business. more than saying slowing down the intensity, the range of motion, frequency, i cannot say more.

My suggestion is to take the front split exercise where the quads is involved and show them to your PT. he/she you be able to adjust something for you.

Luke Barker

Thanks Alessandro. I understand and I’ll talk with the PT. Thought it might be worth putting it out here on this forum.

Luke