All -
Using the search function I've found some threads on some of my specific questions, but I need some help tying it all together to make sure Im working on the right track. I want to paint the big picture so pardon the lengthy intro.
Currently my schedule is set to "Coach's recommendation" w/ Mon - Core, Tue - Middle splits, Wed - Lower body and front split, Thur - Upper body, Fri - Hand stand and thoracic bridge, Sat - Movement and Sun - Recovery. I've been with GST for a few years but haven't been consistent enough and "cherry picked" what i wanted to work on which has predominantly been the upper body exercises which has been very effective but my lower body hasn't seen the same level of progression. That all being said... find your weakness and get after it it. Right coach!? So with that in mind I decided to stick with Coach's recommended schedule.
With doing the middle split series I find that I get some pain/discomfort on the lower inside of the knee (the right side - aka my weak/tight side - more than my left). After some searching and homework, this appears to often be related to a tight gracilis and/or sartorius as the lower connection point appears to be right on the inside of the knee.
So in order to move forward I've come to realize, yet again, that I need to step backwards... which I'm ok with! However... I'm trying to understand what I should "substitute" my 45 minute weekly middle-split session with based on all the content and exercises available as part of the unlimited membership. A couple of initial thoughts I had:
- Hips Restore: I have used this and find it to be really good, however I wasn't sure if it properly targets the gracilis and sartorius that appears to be a sticking point for me to enter the world of middle splits. If this is THE place to focus or use as a stepping stone into middle splits, what does the programming look like, how many times per week, ideally following a lower body session etc? Using the restore series I have found them to be more effective once you've conditioned those muscles prior, rather than doing the restore series "cold" - this goes for any of them
- Foundation 1 SLS: I'm still working my way through the deck squat progression, I cant seem to be able to crank out 5X10 with no elevation or using too much momentum. I've dabbled with the next progression - cossack squats - and I get the same pain on the inside right knee as a result. Given that this is the very first exercise in the middle split series as a warm-up and I'm not even there for my SLS progression acts as another indicator that I'm not ready for the the middle split series, despite scaling most of the exercises. That all being said... in the middle split sub-forum I did indeed notice that cossack squats was prescribed as a way to work on the gracilis issue alot of us seem to be facing.
- Foundation 1 sPL/PE: The accompanying mobility to sPL/PE1 (hip swivels) seems to target some of this as well, especially for the knee that is externally rotating. At this point, I am unable to get both knees to the ground with both hips glued to the ground but wasn't sure if that level of "mastery" was required to progress.
I would love to hear some thoughts, especially from some of the coaches or moderators so I can better understand how to best leverage all the new content and put it all together as a "custom" program based on where I'm at today and the restrictions I have.
Thanks in advance!
Johan