Round off analysis

Started by Andreas Manousakis, February 13, 2019 · 7 Replies · 6,390 Views

Andreas Manousakis

Hello to everyone,

I am aware that the aim of gymnastic bodies is GST, however can you please take a look at this athlete's round off? In general, the standard round off technique starts from a straight shape with hands overhead, step forward to get into lunge position, kick the back leg, turn 180 degrees, pass through the handstand position, go from an arched position into a dish shape (hollow body shape) and push away from the scapula with straight arms which should be shoulder width apart or a bit more and snap the feet down on the floor.

This athlete places the leg forward completely straight, kicks the back leg while turning 180 degrees, jumps on his arms, bents the arms to the point that his hair touch the floor, pushes away from the scapula and arms, snaps his feet down on floor and lands a double piked somersault. Watching athletes going for round off quad twist on floor or even round off quint on airtrack have unusual techniques as well.

I'd like your opinion on optimal round off technique for twisting (assuming the athlete twists on his left side) VS round off for somersaults. Videos for studying are greatly appreciated!

Link: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt0xeZxjMHj/

 

Thank you 

Andreas

 

P.S. In case the terminology I use is not correct, by all means, please correct me!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Andreas, the technique you mentioned is not correct. roundoff is a hurdle, then lunge with arms overhead, one hand on the floor, quarter turn, second hand on the floor. if you want to see the different phases we have a composition of hurdle, lunge, one hand cartwheel, quarter turn, second-hand cartwheel PLUS the change from arched to the hollow position.

the guy in the video is a roundoff modification that some advanced tumbler uses to have more vertical speed. I'm used to seeing this by my athletes who perform at least a tabac or tsukahara or a tuck double back, especially if their back handspring is not good due to a previous lazy coach.

with a beginner gymnast, there is no reason to use the technique in the video. 

Andreas Manousakis

Hi Alessandro, thank you for correcting me!

Where can I find the composition you are mentioning? Any other links to videos of athletes performing a connection from round off, especially in slow motion, are much appreciated!

Alessandro Mainente

it is difficult finding this composition in good roundoff because if correctly learned the phases are completely merged. it's the knowledge of the coach who told you how to teach them. Personally is something I should search on the web for you but at this point, you can do you on your own.

Eloy Bote

In elite gymnast I see very often how they turn way past one quarter, their form is not the same my coaches and others teach. Look how Shawn Johnson used to do before the double double.

783b8a5444098b48ff2cb76c5a5de473.gif

Andreas Manousakis

Hi Alessandro, I was referring to the part of your response:

"if you want to see the different phases ~we have~ a composition of hurdle, lunge, one hand cartwheel, quarter turn, second-hand cartwheel PLUS the change from arched to the hollow position."

I assume it's a certain part from the gymnasticbodies product (?)... if it is, I don't know under what category it falls. :)

Thanks again for your responses Alessandro! Thanks Eloy for the gif!

Coach Sommer

The gist of what Alex is discussing is that all basic cartwheel variations must be mastered before beginning roundoff work; other the round off will always be technically flawed.

The round off shown by Shawn above is by a world class tumbling who is adjusting the skill in order to accommodate performing a more advanced skill.  Notice that she not only starts the roundoff with a power tumbler  near 180º turn, but also finishes the roundoff with nearly a 1/4 of a twist already completed to allow her to accelerate her twist and set into the double double.

None of which has anything at all to do with a lower level athlete needing to master the basics first.  ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Andreas Manousakis

Hi Coach Sommer,

Thank you for your response! :)

I am drilling the basics and being coached but I find it fascinating to keep an eye on advanced athletes for inspiration, study, conversation and at times trial and error in well equipped gyms ran by professionals (e.g. east london gymnastics club), IF what I am watching is comprehensible. Otherwise inspiration, study and conversation are what I am after until I am prepared. What I watched from the Japanese athlete above was not comprehensible, therefore I have the need to ask questions and gather as much info as possible.

Yours sincerely

Andreas Manousakis.